Update on intercooler fan mud issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirito

Reaction score
So for those of you who didn't peep my previous post, I bought a used 2017 with 3k miles on it from TX and had it shipped over to CA. The truck was purchased from a CERTIFIED FORD dealership.

Upon arrival last Thursday night, I heard some crazy ass noise in the engine bay, and the next morning I took it to my local Ford dealership to have it checked out. Turns out the entire engine bay was caked in dry mud and the intercooler fans needed to be replaced because of the mud damage. The previous owner did some serious offroading in it.

I initially thought this fix would be covered by warranty, but fast forward to this morning and the local dealership called me and let me know that the truck was ready to be picked up.. the total was 600 buckaroonies. Turns out that it's not covered by warranty because the fans were damaged from abuse and not malfunction.

I ended up calling the dealership in TX and politely told the sales manager that I don't think it's fair that I have to pay for this fix out of my own pocket, and that as a certified ford dealership they should have done a pre-sale inspection. He told me he'd talk to the general manager and/or the service manager, and have one of them call me back. Nothing yet and it's been a whole day.

I don't think they're obligated to pay for it considering they already sold it to me, but I'm just praying they will out of good will. So as of right now I still don't have my truck back, and honestly at this point I'm not even upset anymore, just profoundly disappointed. I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned here.

Other than that, I just wanted to say I appreciate everyone's support thus far in the forum.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ouch. The selling dealer made 10X that on the sale, so it really shouldn’t be a big ask for them to cover this.

OP
OP
K

Kirito

Reaction score
Ouch. The selling dealer made 10X that on the sale, so it really shouldn’t be a big ask for them to cover this.

Yeah, and they didn't exactly sell it to me for a steal either... If they aren't willing to pay for the fix then I really don't have a choice but to pay it. Looks like mods are going to have to wait!

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the dealer comes through for you. At least the truck is fixed, but you should not have to eat the cost of the repairs. Let’s us know how it goes.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
not for nothing, the fan issue is problematic on all raptors.

When I went out to the raptor assault program, we had snow, and thus mud.

The instructors explained the awful noise that we were all hearing once we got the trucks a bit dirty. The fans due to being caked in mud.

Even the instructors said that they learned the hard lesson of the fans by experience. Now they make sure to powerwash the fans after being in the mud.

Not that it will make you feel any better about dropping $600, but at least know that the truck wasnt necessarily beaten hard and not cared for. It's a common issue even with what i would call light offroading, like at the raptor assault.

OP
OP
K

Kirito

Reaction score
not for nothing, the fan issue is problematic on all raptors.

When I went out to the raptor assault program, we had snow, and thus mud.

The instructors explained the awful noise that we were all hearing once we got the trucks a bit dirty. The fans due to being caked in mud.

Even the instructors said that they learned the hard lesson of the fans by experience. Now they make sure to powerwash the fans after being in the mud.

Not that it will make you feel any better about dropping $600, but at least know that the truck wasnt necessarily beaten hard and not cared for. It's a common issue even with what i would call light offroading, like at the raptor assault.

Appreciate the reassuring words brother! Im hoping this is the case with my truck :) Although the skid plate did look like it took quite a beating haha. Once I get the truck back I'm powerwashing the engine bay and replacing the skid plate. Out of sight out of mind.

Last edited:

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the reassuring words brother! Im hoping this is the case with my truck :) Although the skid plate did look like it took quite a beating haha. Once I get the truck back I'm powerwashing the engine bay and replacing the skid plate. Out of sight out of mind.

Why replace the skid plate? You’ll be less likely to care about dinging that one up. My two cents.