GEN 1 4 Low to 4 High Sticks in Neutral then Grinds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
After doing a search, I found plenty of people with similar but opposite problems, but only one person with this exact problem. Rather than bump an old thread where he wasn't the OP, I figured I'd start a new one.

I bought my '14 SCrew with 54k miles on Sunday. This evening while coming up the driveway, I realized I hadn't tried 4 low yet. I put it in 4 high every day when I come home (gravel, half mile going up hill) and haven't had any issues. I got it in 4 high, drove a few feet and came to a rest, shifted to neutral, and put it in low side. Worked just find as I drove a hundred feet or so. Stopped, put the truck back in neutral, shifted to high side, and after being told the transfer case had shifted, I put it in drive. The speedometer indicated I was driving forward at 10 MPH, but the truck was actually in neutral and I was slowly rolling back. I shifted in and out of low and 4x4/4x2 a few times with no effect. Finally, I left it in 4 high and gunned the engine. At about 2000 RPM, it started grinding for a second or two and then ****** into gear. Once I got to my parking spot on top of the hill, I managed to get it to do the same thing on the second try. Again, I was sitting still, but it said I was driving at 10-15 MPH and the odometer even turned over a tenth of a mile. I managed to get it into 4 high by revving the engine again, and this time it engaged with less grinding, but grinding nonetheless.

All that to ask, has anyone else had this exact issue? What ended up being the problem? I'm still covered by both Ford's powertrain and Carmax's warranties, so I'm not overly worried. It just really bugs me and I'd like to know a little bit more about the issue before I talk to a service writer.

Fyrman702

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I managed to replicate the problem this morning and get it on video.

https://youtu.be/yMWDKe0rgwg

I had a very similar problem on my 2013. It would switch from 2Hi to 4Hi while driving no problem, and would grind while trying to switch to 4Lo with the same dash warnings. At first I thought it was an IWE issue but the grinding sound seemed to be coming from the transfer case.

I found a post that talked about the electric plug on the transfer case not being sealed and having moisture in it. I checked my connection and it was extremely dry. I cleaned it and then added a generous amount of dielectric grease. From that point on it seems to work as intended.

Give that a try and see if it will solve the problem.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't be giving that much gas and letting it grind like that, your adding to the problem.
Are you also taking your foot of the brake while turning the knob to let the drivetrain relax?????

It could be just a bad connection or your battery is not as strong as it should be.
The electric actuator could be failing, plus who knows how the previous owner treated the truck.
I did a transfer case fluid change at 15,000 and the oil was completely brunt.
But I did a lot of high speed driving on the highway. I only use 4x4 in heavy snow or rain, No off-roading!!!
I've talked with people who have had water in the transfer case,
speeding through high water and torn or bad seals on both driveshafts will allow water in.

Definitely do what Fyrman702 did!
Check your fluid and fluid level.

Otherwise it's off to see how that warranty is going to work.

Last edited:

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you also taking your foot of the brake while turning the knob to let the drivetrain relax?????

What MTF mentioned is very important. However, I know that's hard to do if you are stuck of slipping on an incline with obstacles behind you...

R,
HAP

ICLOSEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue. There was a pin hole leak in the IWE Vacuum line. Or another common piece is the bad connection in the plugs to the transfer case as mentioned above.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
from the video you posted you are not doing it right in my experience.

ive never shifted into D while my tcase is in Neutral shifting into 4lo on this truck. All i have ever had to do is let off the brake a little to lessen the binding, align some do dad ect.

Give it a try and let us know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T
Reaction score

I took the truck to Carmax on the 12th and got it back on the 22nd. Since it's still under warranty, they sublet it to Ford (which I expected). Ford couldn't give me a reason why the transfer case failed, but it more or less ate itself. They replaced it with a new transfer case; having to order one is why it took so long to get my truck back to me. Using 4x4 now, I'm not entirely sure that it was working in 4 high to begin with. I never tested it on a hard surface for binding and now it goes up my driveway a lot more easily than it did before.

Granted, it was their bad for not catching it (I used to be a Carmax mechanic and know how they inspect vehicles), but Carmax was pretty good about making things right. They were going to give me a '13 SCrew Raptor (the one I first test drove), but ended up selling it as I was dropping my truck off. Instead, they put me in a '17 SCrew Lariat EcoBoost. It was a nice truck, but I missed my Raptor.

I've included scans of the repair order for those curious or anyone later on who has the same problem.

Attachments

• 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 65