Zombiekiller's "Donkey" build up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I guess it is time to document my build, my truck isn't stock anymore.

I nicknamed my truck " the Donkey" because when you get on it and tell it to go faster, it makes lots of wierd noises. It also bucked in the rear like a pissed off donkey with the stock leaf springs.

There will be no bed rugs, bullet antennas, or car detailing shit in this build thread.

I bought the truck in Sept of '17. it's a 2018. Like many vehicles that I've owned, " i am not going to modify the truck at all", quickly turned into, " Mod all the things".

:win:

Why am I modifying my truck like this?

I've been to all over the country rock crawling and road racing. My main goals are to build a tough, capable truck that will facilitate me going on trips to baja, UT, AZ, parts of Cali and Colorado. I do not want to worry about breaking. The plan is to continue to build the truck to match my driving capabilities. This is my first foray into driving high speed off-road in my own truck. ( I'm also currently building a class 7 truck with a friend in TX. We'll most likely use the raptor to pre-run/ chase)

Between the wrenching stages, I'll be attending different off-road driving schools and events.

I've already been beating on the truck locally, but most of our stuff is sugar cane field access roads, mud and water. These are not the things I am planning to use the truck for.

Stock Truck:

9bVTNe0.jpg

Round 1:

+1.5" RPG collars
+Wheel Well liners
+Mudflaps
+Trim Antenna
+ Install V1
+Window Tint
+PPF on the headlights
+JMS Boostmax and JMS BoostMax

Feedback on the first Round of Mods:

The RPG collars didn't bring the front up enough for me.

The wheel well Liners would never hold up to heavy desert running. They came off.

The mudflaps don't Jive with 37s, They came off.

The Boostmax and pedal max are hot garbage and caused all sorts of problems.

Round 2:

RPG Bump Stop Kit
Deaver +3s
SDHQ 1" Drop Shackles
Stainless Brake Lines
RPG Adjustable Collars
Pedal Commander
Chipwerke
Driver's side Seat Release

Feedback on round 2:

The Deavers made a HUGE difference.

The RPG 1.5" collars, even with +3s and drop shackles gave the truck a pretty noticeable "stinkbug" stance. I went to the adjustable collars and set them at 2.5". The truck now sits about 1/2" high in the back with the bed completely unloaded.

The brake lines give me a little bit more droop. They do not make a tangible difference in braking performance.

The only thing that I am worried about is the stock shocks being the droop limiter. ( Which will be addressed with limit straps down the line.)

The pedal commander and chipwerke were just "okay". The chipwerke had to be backed WAY off to not have codes throw when using adaptive cruise. The PC is cool and all, but the truck still felt surge-y.

Round 3:

+BD Pro Fog Pocket Kit
+Line-x Bed
+Builtright Bed Panels
+Underseat Molle Panels
+In-cab Fire Extinguisher
+Bed Fire Extinguisher
+Murder Spork, Axe, Trucker's friend, Work light
+Underhood Lighting
+LED License Plate Bulbs
+Flush Mount BD s2 backup lights

Round 3 feedback: All of these mods are definitely keepers. I think I'm on my 4th or 5th Bed reconfiguration through. Every time I take the truck out and drive it hard, another set of the quick fist clamps seem to fail. So far I've now replaced most of the quickfist clamps with sturdier steel or aluminum tie down brackets.

Don't be afraid to cut holes in your factory bumper for flush mount backup lights. there are a few spots that are flat enough. Just take your time.

Round 4:

+Full Race Intercooler Relocation/upgrade
+A Pillar Brackets + BD XL80s
+37s + Wheels
+Floor Jack (pro eagle big wheel 2 ton)
+Ipad GPS(LeadNav)
+Bed Cover ( Revolver x2)
+Rotopax Cans
+MPT Tune
+UPR Catch Can
+BD Squadron Sport Lights mounted to bed rails just behind cab as chase lights.

Round 4 feedback:

The combo of the FR CAC, and MPT tune was a really nice upgrade. The power is now smooth. The truck feels ballsy, but not surge-y. The way it drives now is way more confidence inspiring. The truck also reacts to driver input way more quickly. It takes some getting used to. On the road it is great. The jury is still out on the driving in the dirt. The truck reacts to throttle input almost a little too quickly when compared to the stock response when left foot braking at speed. I most likely just need to get more seat time.

the XL80s on the A-Pillar seem brighter than the BD Pro Fog pocket kit ( which is 4x squadron pros and 2x S2 Pros. )

I also installed a pair of squadron sports mounted into the bed rails as chase lights. (forgot this and had to edit). They are set far enough out that I can roll up the bed cover and they are still visible from the rear.

The 37s made a much larger difference in ground clearance than I thought they would.

With the tune, etc, the truck still feels stronger now. Bonus is that the speedo is now Spot on!

I'm also really happy with the rotopax cans/mounts, the revolver x2 and the pro eagle jack is freaking awesome.

I'm glad I went Ipad GPS over lowrance. It is nice to be able to switch between apps. I find leadnav WAY more intuitive than lowrance.

I installed the catch can to have the best chance of keeping my effective octane level where I'd like it to be, especially in remote areas. I'll be carrying a pair of 3 gallon Rotopax gas cans with 260 GT Plus 104 octane unleaded in them as well.

VBPFnAr.jpgb9Fqcbh.jpg

Round 5:

+Rogue Enforcer Frame Chop Bumper
+Rogue Lower CAC Mount Bracket
+Kenwood TK790H ( Remote head)
+Antenna Mount ( Third brake light mount)
+Additional Lighting (5 x XL80s for the bumper)
+6th Wheel/Tire
+Selectable flasher for chase lights

These parts are currently on Order. I should have the radio and related bits by the end of this week. The selectable flasher should get here this week as well.

The bumper and bracket have a 6 week lead time. Rogue promised to have them here for me with enough time to install the bumper before TRR18. I will order the lights and 6th tire/wheel to have them for TRR as well.

RPG should be bringing a truck with the new mid-travel kit to TRR. Before I go ahead and order the rest of the suspension bits, I want to ride in a truck that has the same setup. ( as the jump into suspension is NOT cheap and I would prefer to not do it twice.)

( Planned ) Round 6:
+Fox DSC 3.0s for the front
+RPG RST18 + Shocks
+RCI Metalworks Skids
+Foutz Differential Skid
+On-Board Air
+ Limit Straps for the rear

( Planned ) Round 7:

+Designing and building my own bed rack that secures everything with the tonneau cover installed.

+RPG's forthcoming Gen2 Mid-travel kit

+Matching Rogue Enforcer Rear Bumper

+Front Bypasses

+Front Limit Straps

+possibly front bumps

I'll add more pics & Details as I get time.

Last edited:

M3LELENA

Reaction score
nice writeup. are you happy with the tonneau cover? any road/ off road noise?? leaning towards the X4 but not sure yet..

OP
OP
zombiekiller

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
nice writeup. are you happy with the tonneau cover? any road/ off road noise?? leaning towards the X4 but not sure yet..

I was going to buy 2, one soft and one hard cover. My main goal is having everything out of sight and secure-ish when I go to baja. (shit grows legs if it is in plain site) . My more expensive stuff is also locked.

Off road it will get a little "flappy" if i leave it down and go through whoops at speed.

I've taken to rolling it up and clipping it in place when I'm off road. The straps seem to hold it in place. I'll generally put the tailgate down and run a few miles on the pavement before closing it back up to get some of the dirt/dust out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free