Front Camera Stopped Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using the front camera / NAV-TV combination for a long time now. It is especially useful when pulling up to a pole or wall when parking.

Without any changes or incidents, the camera simply stopped working. I try the NAV-TV method and the standard Ford methods, but it simply goes to the "how to activate camera" screen, i.e. "disabled". The NAV-TV is still working with the reverse camera.

I tried re-seating the connector at the camera, but that did not help. Beyond that, I'm not sure how to diagnose the problem. Do the cameras occasionally die unexpected or am I looking at a connection issue?

I'm still under extended warranty, but I'm not sure how Ford service would react with the NAV-TV installed.

Any ideas on how to further diagnose the problem? I was going to simply buy one off of EBay to try, but dang they are expensive.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure but if it was mine I'd want to rule out any broken wiring first before shelling out for camera or BCM or whatever. Doesn't take much to pinch/cut/break a wire and can cause all kinds of gremlins, especially when hidden in a harness or connector...

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get this working? Mine was a wiring harness unplugged under the center console on the back of the "Off road mode" button.

OP
OP
Skyfrog

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get this working? Mine was a wiring harness unplugged under the center console on the back of the "Off road mode" button.

Partially working...
I took it to the dealer for a radiator leak (under warranty) and told them the camera also went out. When I got it back, they had replaced the front camera worked great, ONLY IN REVERSE.

I tried a few things, but I'm not done diagnosing it yet. I figured the dealer would not touch it if I told them the NAV-TV was installed. One thing that worked was unplugging the front camera. Now the rear camera works in reverse, which I need every day to park.

I'll update when I know more.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Partially working...
I took it to the dealer for a radiator leak (under warranty) and told them the camera also went out. When I got it back, they had replaced the front camera worked great, ONLY IN REVERSE.

I tried a few things, but I'm not done diagnosing it yet. I figured the dealer would not touch it if I told them the NAV-TV was installed. One thing that worked was unplugging the front camera. Now the rear camera works in reverse, which I need every day to park.

I'll update when I know more.
Does it work normally if you disconnect the nav-tv?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried that yet. It may be difficult as the install required taking the dash apart.
the cables are long enough that you can relocate them to the bottom. on the drivers side panel theres 1 7mm bolt by the gas pedal and the cover comes off. every one i have installed i have put down there for ease of access. you may want to do the same so if there are any future problems you can get to it easy

OP
OP
Skyfrog

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the cables are long enough that you can relocate them to the bottom. on the drivers side panel theres 1 7mm bolt by the gas pedal and the cover comes off. every one i have installed i have put down there for ease of access. you may want to do the same so if there are any future problems you can get to it easy
It's been a while, but I finally got my front camera working today...
I tried Noah's suggestion to reset the NavTV's cables, which were located where he suggested, huh, I must have watched his video. :smiley-face-popcorn but resetting did not help.
However, I was OK for awhile with the front camera disconnected as long as the rear camera worked in reverse.
Last time it was in the shop, I had them check it out again. It seems it was throwing a "Steering Wheel Sensor" fault code. I did notice the directions lines were acting up, but didn't think it was related. Apparently it was. After they replaced the sensor (and housing?), the NavTV worked correctly again, including the normal Ford functions.
I'm glad to have it back again so I can sneak up on parked cars. And for those thinking about Extended Warranty, I think it finally paid for itself:
  • Front passenger window motor replaced
  • Rear sliding window working again
  • Radiator hose leak fixed
  • Front camera replaced
  • Steering wheel sensor replaced

Last edited: