Resolution on Bad Shifts in Lower Gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new transmission less than a month ago when I took it for the roll-pin recall and brought up a bad shift from 3-2. During the roll-pin replacement, they noticed a lot of metal in the pan and led to Ford finally authorizing a complete replacement as parts for a rebuild not being available after repeated missed delivery dates.

While my 3-2 bad shift is gone, I still have rough shifts in gears 1-5. It's particularly noticeable from 4-3 in bumper-to-bumper traffic or pulling up to a stoplight. I also noticed that since the replacement my tranny now skips the 2nd gear and goes 3-1 or 1-3.

I really don't want to be taking the vehicle back after five weeks of not having the truck, but I also don't want it to eat another tranny.

Has anyone been able to get this resolved? I have a 17' with about 8500 miles on it, tranny was replaced at about 7,500.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new transmission less than a month ago when I took it for the roll-pin recall and brought up a bad shift from 3-2. During the roll-pin replacement, they noticed a lot of metal in the pan and led to Ford finally authorizing a complete replacement as parts for a rebuild not being available after repeated missed delivery dates.

While my 3-2 bad shift is gone, I still have rough shifts in gears 1-5. It's particularly noticeable from 4-3 in bumper-to-bumper traffic or pulling up to a stoplight. I also noticed that since the replacement my tranny now skips the 2nd gear and goes 3-1 or 1-3.

I really don't want to be taking the vehicle back after five weeks of not having the truck, but I also don't want it to eat another tranny.

Has anyone been able to get this resolved? I have a 17' with about 8500 miles on it, tranny was replaced at about 7,500.

I similarly am not a huge fan of how the transmission shifts, especially when it is cold. That said, the skipping of 2nd and 4th gear is 100% normal under moderate acceleration. Unless you are barely hitting the gas, or really getting on it, 2nd and 4th gears will be skipped.

OP
OP
M

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The upshifts fare better than the downshifts. It’s the downshifting of the gears, brakes being applied or coasting where the gears get clunky, particularly now from 4-3.

Good to know on the drive mode and it skipping other than sport as it didn’t do that before the replacement.

On the drive home today I decided to call my service advisor and leave him a message.

r3run33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have these crazy shifts but thought it was just the type of programming Ford did to save gasoline etc MPG. the bumper to bumper traffic is horrible; seems the truck is always in a higher gear. I have not done my recall yet will ask about it when I take it in next week

OP
OP
M

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The roll pin recall for good or worse was helpful in my case to verify there was a significant issue.

I tried driving in sport mode but it still skips 2nd whether I'm accelerating slowly or more aggressively.

The tranny tech who worked on my truck is on medical leave for two weeks so going to wait for him to get back and schedule service.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The roll pin recall for good or worse was helpful in my case to verify there was a significant issue.

I tried driving in sport mode but it still skips 2nd whether I'm accelerating slowly or more aggressively.

The tranny tech who worked on my truck is on medical leave for two weeks so going to wait for him to get back and schedule service.

There is definitely something amiss. In sport, I have to try really, really hard to get the truck to skip 2nd. I’ve got to be at about 3% throttle or less

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is definitely something amiss. In sport, I have to try really, really hard to get the truck to skip 2nd. I’ve got to be at about 3% throttle or less

Same here. I too had my transmission replaced after the ‘roll-pin recall’. I have the same “crisp” (I.e. hard) shifts when slowing down and transmission downshifts 5 - 3 - 1, etc.

It’s identical to the transmission that was replaced and on par with the aforementioned comments. I think it’s the 10-sod transmission “personality”.