Gen 2 OE rear shocks on gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So short story... buy shocks, change the top hat and springs from the old shocks and switch them over and install. On full extended (jumping) the springs make contact with the UCA, to stop this buy limiting straps and install. Back shocks just bolt right in. Any other issues that may arise from this? Where would the straps be installed at?

Everytime the front extends with the gen 2 shocks and the uca hits the spring...that is not the worst part. What is really limiting the suspension on full extension is the cv's are binding.
So if you don't install the limiting straps right away, go ahead and order new cv's as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hogwash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just ordered my set. Yay spending money.

Not sure where you guys are planning on attaching the limit straps but I think I'd be leery of attaching to the OEM cast aluminum LCAs.

Last edited:

engine45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if you used some lower control arm skid plates like the steel icon ones and used those to attach the limit straps too

hogwash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if you used some lower control arm skid plates like the steel icon ones and used those to attach the limit straps too
I can't speak to that as I've no experience wirh the skids.
To be honest, I was going to have my stock shocks set to top perch when they were rebuilt, which isn't ideal either. I'm also a 2011, so none of the torsen-specific issues with increased height.

I'm gonna look into the travel once everything is installed, but I'm not really too worried. I hate to say it but my truck is not going off road much, other hobbies are too expensive to risk breaking this truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

hogwash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got my shocks delivered today. I'll try to get them on in the next week or so.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So what you you doing to mitigate the shock bottoming out before the axle hits the bump stop? It won't be long before this thread has some pictures of ripped off shock mounts.

hogwash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what you you doing to mitigate the shock bottoming out before the axle hits the bump stop? It won't be long before this thread has some pictures of ripped off shock mounts.
I haven't done anything yet, as the shocks are still in the boxes.

uh_oh_6.2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So finally thrashed my around. For limit straps I welded a tab on the frame next to strut tower, and then used the lower tie rod placement for the other end. Landing is great, ride is great. I went full bump and had zero issue. Did not rebound back off the ground, stayed planted and all was well!