WaveTrac Differential - Gauging Interest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not sure of the differences between this Raptor’s 8.8” and the 8.8” from the 2010-2012 but that I guess is also a possibility.

Didn't the Gen 1's have the 9.75"?

OP
OP
B

bumwhine

Reaction score
You asked about the front replacement. This thread is about the possibility for a rear Wavetrac application.

The front differentials in the Gen1 are 8.8".

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor has electronic traction and stability control so a LSD is kind of redundant on the road.

OP
OP
B

bumwhine

Reaction score
I assume you opted out of the front Torsen differential then. Good thing about the Wavetrac is when it’s torque biasing (under zero load conditions) it’s helping to limit the use of electronic driving aids. We obviously see this more in road race / track day situations, but it would have benefits here both on- and off-road.

Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I assume you opted out of the front Torsen differential then. Good thing about the Wavetrac is when it’s torque biasing (under zero load conditions) it’s helping to limit the use of electronic driving aids. We obviously see this more in road race / track day situations, but it would have benefits here both on- and off-road.

I have the Torsen, but find it annoying on the street because of the excessive torque steer. I only use 4A when I absolutely need it because I hate the steering feedback.

OP
OP
B

bumwhine

Reaction score
I think you're confusing torque steer with traction. Drive an open differential FWD car pointed straight and mash the throttle, fighting to stay in the lane is a result of torque steer. It's a definitely a different feeling if you're not used to it.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you're confusing torque steer with traction. Drive an open differential FWD car pointed straight and mash the throttle, fighting to stay in the lane is a result of torque steer. It's a definitely a different feeling if you're not used to it.

I'm familiar with FWD and AWD vehicles, but the Torsen is on a different level. It is so pronounced it convinced many Raptor owners into thinking something is wrong with their truck. There are plenty of threads here on the subject. Raptors without the Torsen don't have this torque steer and neither do Ford's other AWD vehicles.

I gather you don't have a Raptor, but it feels like a rubber band is trying to keep the steering wheel centered and it is especially pronounced if there is a crown in the road. Non-Torsen Raptors feel like normal AWD vehicles in 4A and this weird feeling is probably why the Torsen is an option and not standard.

And mechanically this sensation makes sense because the Torsen is designed to keep both wheels spinning at the same speed, which means it fights you every time you are in a turn (taking power from the faster wheel and transferring it to the slower wheel). You don't get this resistance in a traditional diff that is perfectly content letting the wheels spin at different speeds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bumwhine

Reaction score
I have a 2018 802A with the Torsen. Regardless, this thread is about gauging interest on a REAR application for a Wavetrac differential... of which there seems to be none.

A Torsen is designed to bias torque to the wheels that can accept the traction, which is why they aren't a true 'limited slip' differential. If by 'traditional diff' you mean 'open differential' you are correct, the wheel is free to spin. The differential is not fighting you, it is aiding you. To imagine that you'd replace a mechanical limited slip or helical differential in any performance-oriented car with an electronic nanny is pretty humorous though. Maybe if it was an electrohydraulic clutch system like those in some Audi Quattros I'd agree.

Good lord I can't get this forum's YouTube embed to work: https://youtu.be/JEiSTzK-A2A

Another video comparing pros/cons of each type: https://youtu.be/x40WGUtdaLI

Wavetrac differential: https://youtu.be/QEhLGe_M6XU

Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2018 802A with the Torsen. Regardless, this thread is about gauging interest on a REAR application for a Wavetrac differential. Of which there seems to be none.

A Torsen is designed to bias torque to the wheels that can accept the traction, which is why they aren't a true 'limited slip' differential. If by 'traditional diff' you mean 'open differential' you are correct, the wheel is free to spin. The differential is not fighting you, it is aiding you. To imagine that you'd replace a mechanical limited slip or helical differential in any performance-oriented car with an electronic nanny is pretty humorous though. Maybe if it was an electrohydraulic clutch system like those in some Audi Quattros I'd agree.

Good lord I can't get this forum's YouTube embed to work: https://youtu.be/JEiSTzK-A2A

Raptor has electronic nannies for street use and locking diff for "performance" use. I'm not sure where the LSD fits in and the lack of a compelling use case is why you are not seeing any enthusiasm for your proposal.

OP
OP
B

bumwhine

Reaction score
The locking diff turns off at 20mph and does not work in 2WD without splicing a module into the wiring harness. Replacing the differential works at any speed, in any condition, all the time.

Thank you for your input.