Towing with Supercharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m running a procharger dsc1 with no issues towing. I recently pulled a Dodge Challenger about 150 miles with zero issues

Well, let me warn you. Try towing an RV in slow traffic up Colorado mountain passes and your tranny is going to get HOT! Only if it's slow. If I can just drive a reasonable speed it's all good.

No issues since my tranny upgrades, but it happened twice before that - once pulling up I-70 out of Denver and once going up the pass from Steamboat Springs.

Never had an issue towing my Jeep, but it's not as big.

I think in this case the supercharger is unrelated (it actually helps since you can go faster if no one is in your way, and the speed cools the tranny). It's really towing something heavy slowly up a steep hill. Beware.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got mine from SDHQ. Doesn't look like it's on the website anymore, though. You could try calling those guys but my guess is it's an Autometer product anyway.

Here it is with and without a tweeter mount...

https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-triple-rplcment-pillar-w-o-speaker-f-150-09-14.html

https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-triple-rplcment-pillar-w-speaker-f-150-09-14.html

They also have options with fewer gauges and also steering column mounts.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was looking at. I don't like the steering column mount because it's so in the way (I know it's supposed to still let you see the tac around it). How do you like those vent pods? I put my boost gauge on the pillar because the vent pods looked like you'd lose the ability to control air flow from that vent and I know that'd **** off the wife when she drives it. Is that the case with them or do they do something fancy that I don't know about?

Do you think that EGT is not needed on a supercharged gasser (focusing on towing)? Buddy who knows a thing or two is telling me it'd be smart, but I'm on the fence.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, that's exactly what I was looking at. I don't like the steering column mount because it's so in the way (I know it's supposed to still let you see the tac around it). How do you like those vent pods? I put my boost gauge on the pillar because the vent pods looked like you'd lose the ability to control air flow from that vent and I know that'd **** off the wife when she drives it. Is that the case with them or do they do something fancy that I don't know about?

Do you think that EGT is not needed on a supercharged gasser (focusing on towing)? Buddy who knows a thing or two is telling me it'd be smart, but I'm on the fence.

I really like the A pillar gauge pod; it will still be a part of my revamped set up. I will tell you that the gauge at the top of the stack feels a little high up and also a little close to your face for a really quick read. So I'd put the least critical gauge up there. The one you use the most I'd keep at the bottom where it's the easiest to take a quick glance at.

I think a wideband A/F ratio gauge makes more sense for a supercharged gas motor. That's what I'm running.

You can't control the air flow with the vent pods. I like air moving all the time so it doesn't bother me. My only concern was losing the ability to direct air at the window to clear condensation, but it hasn't been an issue so far, as the truck has vents meant for that already, which have been doing the job without any additional help.

I agree completely with your assessment of the steering column pod. I actually bought one and chose not to use it (so far) for that very reason.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really like the A pillar gauge pod; it will still be a part of my revamped set up. I will tell you that the gauge at the top of the stack feels a little high up and also a little close to your face for a really quick read. So I'd put the least critical gauge up there. The one you use the most I'd keep at the bottom where it's the easiest to take a quick glance at.

I think a wideband A/F ratio gauge makes more sense for a supercharged gas motor. That's what I'm running.

You can't control the air flow with the vent pods. I like air moving all the time so it doesn't bother me. My only concern was losing the ability to direct air at the window to clear condensation, but it hasn't been an issue so far, as the truck has vents meant for that already, which have been doing the job without any additional help.

I agree completely with your assessment of the steering column pod. I actually bought one and chose not to use it (so far) for that very reason.

Your advice on gauge placement is great info - I was actually curious about that, so that helps.

The air flow wouldn't be a big deal for me, but it'd **** the wife off something fierce, so I'm going to nix that idea.

I would be curious as to any other creative gauge placement solutions you come up with. Like you, I like the pillar. But I don't like the vent pods nor the steering wheel, so that limits me to three (and boost is already spoken for).

Reaction score
This is my gauge set up. Pretty simple. This pic is of one of the screens. Shows the dd stuff. Swipe to the next screen and it shows boost and trans temp for towing and off roading. Next screen shows more technical- aprox hp and tq at crank, afr command, afr actual, fuel remaining in gals, spark timing advance.
Inexpensive, removable, and customizable. Which is exactly what I wanted.

It turns out after I set this up that my Roush gauge is off. Shows 7-8 psi while the OBD II shows 10 at peak.

Couldn't be happier

Attachments

• IMG_4599.jpg
    IMG_4599.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 43

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is my gauge set up. Pretty simple. This pic is of one of the screens. Shows the dd stuff. Swipe to the next screen and it shows boost and trans temp for towing and off roading. Next screen shows more technical- aprox hp and tq at crank, afr command, afr actual, fuel remaining in gals, spark timing advance.
Inexpensive, removable, and customizable. Which is exactly what I wanted.

It turns out after I set this up that my Roush gauge is off. Shows 7-8 psi while the OBD II shows 10 at peak.

Couldn't be happier

What is this? What is the install like? It is simply an ODB II connection?

I'm very iffy on my Roush gauge and that's what started me down this path. It's only showing maybe 6 and peak and should be more like 11. Also it's my second gauge and doesn't seem consistent with the first one that showed higher readings. It's like it pegs at six and stops, but I think my boost is actually fine.

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

How do you install the aftermarket tranny gauge? Do you have to install a totally separate sensor or do you somehow tap into the computer or ODB II port?

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would be curious as to any other creative gauge placement solutions you come up with. Like you, I like the pillar. But I don't like the vent pods nor the steering wheel, so that limits me to three (and boost is already spoken for).

I will be doing something (custom) like the center pod that the Shelby Baja 700 Raptors had. Pic of Shelby Baja 700 attached. I liked their idea a lot but I had a better execution in mind. Note: I also threw in a pic of my current set up (third vent pod not shown) so you can see how it looks complete. Also note: with a lot of gauges you really want to make sure you have them set up so they can be dimmed. Otherwise, you are going to get lit up like a christmas tree at night.

How do you install the aftermarket tranny gauge? Do you have to install a totally separate sensor or do you somehow tap into the computer or ODB II port?

I have a PML pan. They will machine it for you for a sensor fitting for $45. Just make sure you know which size NPT your gauge has before you order.

https://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11089.php

Bonus is extra capacity and cooling fins.

Attachments

• shelby-baja-700-raptor-19-dash.jpg
    shelby-baja-700-raptor-19-dash.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9164.jpg
    IMG_9164.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 53

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will be doing something (custom) like the center pod that the Shelby Baja 700 Raptors had. Pic of Shelby Baja 700 attached. I liked their idea a lot but I had a better execution in mind. Note: I also threw in a pic of my current set up (third vent pod not shown) so you can see how it looks complete. Also note: with a lot of gauges you really want to make sure you have them set up so they can be dimmed. Otherwise, you are going to get lit up like a christmas tree at night.

I have a PML pan. They will machine it for you for a sensor fitting for $45. Just make sure you know which size NPT your gauge has before you order.

https://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11089.php

Bonus is extra capacity and cooling fins.

I recently installed an AFE pan due to some heat issues I've had while towing and it already has a port! Man... I think I need more coffee...

What brand gauges are you going with?

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recently installed an AFE pan due to some heat issues I've had while towing and it already has a port! Man... I think I need more coffee...

What brand gauges are you going with?

Those are Autometer C2s on an Autometer dimmer (infinitely adjustable from extremely bright to zero) but it's always bothered me that they don't color match the factory gauges so I had Autometer make me a custom set.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 44

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those are Autometer C2s on an Autometer dimmer (infinitely adjustable from extremely bright to zero) but it's always bothered me that they don't color match the factory gauges so I had Autometer make me a custom set.

Have you seen any decent analog/digital ones? I don't have a good explanation, but I really like those. Only ones I have found are MaxTow.