GEN 2 yet another SPD Dyno Plot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jikjak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wonder if these adapters make a difference, seems like some say they do and others say they dont. No firm consensus on whether or not they be but no harm in getting them right?

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A point of clarification:

did you dyno stock (no SPD) and then dyno with ONLY the SPD adapters?

I’m in at least partial agreement with @Gsteve, I doubt they hurt anything, but if you tuned and put the SPD’s on at the same time, we’re only guessing if they’re actually producing real world numbers.

Seems he did NOT which makes his claim nonsense data.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So everybody's opinions on if they work/don't work are based on what? Solely what you think should work? Has anybody actually taken off the stock downpipes/adapters and looked at them? Maybe compare them to the SPD products?

The stock downpipes are stupid small and restrictive. The stock adapter has an even smaller outlet.

High Flow Turbo Exhaust Adapter [ADPT35R] - $119.95 : SPD Performance, For all your performance needs!

High Flow Turbo Exhaust Adapter : SPD Performance, For all your performance needs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6HLkuT-sCA

Dyno results sure show that they increase power.

I have no affiliation with SPD or any of their products.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Seems he did NOT which makes his claim nonsense data.

Not necessarily. His installation of multiple changes at one time makes it very difficult to know what was contributed by the adapters, the tune and the combination of both. To clarify, the ‘tune’ means his entire tune package.

According to Whipple, their CAI is actually worth real hp, not smoke and mirrors and they assert they actually see HP from -just- their intercooler from the stage 1 package. If you break down their numbers for these component parts, allowing for some variation, you can end up with some understanding of what they may contribute based on his truck’s results.

It’s not exact, but the numbers are what they are.
let’s take Whipple at their word and face value.
I don’t have the thread in front of me in which Whipple gives numbers they’ve seen, but, we have a hard / fast back t back from Toad
347 to 410 or 63 hp.

let’s take 10 away for each CAI and Intercooler, that’s 43 hp left between the tune and the SPD adapters. But look at Toad’s post here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f261/yet-another-spd-dyno-plot-59557/#post1234820

note that his comparison truck peaks at 406hp, Toad peaks at 410, but his baseline is higher by over 20hp. Max tq are also similarly consistent on the tuned truck.

This suggests to me that Toad has a better baseline dyno run, not necessarily more power from the SPD adapters. I’m having a hard time rationalizing Toad’s suggested +24 hp here based on the numbers at hand. Is it possible that he had better dyno conditions up front, possibly a weaker truck off the line and the SPD adapters compensated for an engine that was a few ponies under the curve? maybe. Or maybe he had closer to the Whipple test truck conditions and the spd’s are worth a few ponies. If Whipple’s claims are to be believed, and I have no reason to not believe them, then the SPD adapters don’t hurt, but they aren’t +24 hp. If this were a choke point in the exhaust, relieving that choke point would show significantly more power up top, not 5 hp. Another observation; Toadster’s truck has acquired a torque dip just after peak torque to about 4200 rpms compared to the other truck. It comes on earlier in the earlier dyno run, but torque hits max, then dips, then steadies out. The Whipple test mule curve is significantly smoothed but doesn’t show evidence of this.

I think if @Toadster were campaigning a Black Raptor, which everyone knows by now is the fastest color Raptor, he would probably have seen another 9 or 10 hp.

@Toadster’s numbers aren’t bunk, but they aren’t definitive or conclusive. They are data points and provide a basis for at least some numerical data to use in considering the purchase and install of these adapters.

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not necessarily. His installation of multiple changes at one time makes it very difficult to know what was contributed by the adapters, the tune and the combination of both. To clarify, the ‘tune’ means his entire tune package.

According to Whipple, their CAI is actually worth real hp, not smoke and mirrors and they assert they actually see HP from -just- their intercooler from the stage 1 package. If you break down their numbers for these component parts, allowing for some variation, you can end up with some understanding of what they may contribute based on his truck’s results.

I don’t have the thread in front of me in which Whipple gives numbers they’ve seen, but, we have a hard / fast back t back from Toad

347 to 410 or 63 hp.

let’s take 10 away for each CAI and Intercooler, that’s 43 hp left between the tune and the SPD adapters. But look at Toad’s post here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f261/yet-another-spd-dyno-plot-59557/#post1234820

note that his comparison truck peaks at 406hp, Toad peaks at 410, but his baseline is higher by over 20hp. Max tq are also similarly consistent on the tuned truck.

This suggests to me that Toad has a better baseline dyno run, not necessarily more power from the SPD adapters. I’m having a hard time rationalizing Toad’s suggested +24 hp here based on the numbers at hand. Is it possible that he had better dyno conditions up front, possibly a weaker truck off the line and the SPD adapters compensated for an engine that was a few ponies under the curve? maybe. Or maybe he had closer to the Whipple test truck conditions and the spd’s are worth a few ponies. If Whipple’s claims are to be believed, and I have no reason to not believe them, then the SPD adapters don’t hurt, but they aren’t +24 hp. If this were a choke point in the exhaust, relieving that choke point would show significantly more power up top, not 5 hp. Another observation; Toadster’s truck has acquired a torque dip just after peak torque to about 4200 rpms compared to the other truck. It comes on earlier in the earlier dyno run, but torque hits max, then dips, then steadies out. The Whipple test mule curve is significantly smoothed but doesn’t show evidence of this.

I think if @Toadster were campaigning a Black Raptor, which everyone knows by now is the fastest color Raptor, he would probably have seen another 9 or 10 hp.

@Toadster’s numbers aren’t bunk, but they aren’t definitive or conclusive. They are data points and provide a basis for at least some numerical data to use in considering the purchase and install of these adapters.

49ec660e21857c4c9dcf40700b4a9f8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

347 to 410 or 63 hp.

His number ARE bunk. He is using two different trucks and extrapolating... You can not compare different dynos with different trucks on different days, sorry.

To clarify - he is using WHIPPLE's HP stock numbers on some random truck, getting an HP number then coming in with HIS truck, on a different day and getting another number. It's like measuring a football field with your feet.

Now, if he did a before SPD run then an after SPD run on the same day with the same dyno, then THOSE number would be meaningful.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I accept your apology, but it’s not necessary, really ...:biggrin:

You are a glass half empty kind of guy.
Toad is a glass half full kind of guy.

I am a ‘where the f*** is my waitress, my glass needs refilled’ kind of guy

Yes, you are right, he’s extrapolating, but there is some numerical consistency in the results. At best, they’re circumstantial evidence, but ... often times that’s more accurate than eyewitness testimony.

I know what you’re saying; different dyno runs, different days, different vehicles. I’ve got over 260 dyno runs, most bike runs, but I understand the limitations.

The dyno is a tool for measurement, in this case measuring the ‘work’ your vehicle can do illustrated through horsepower and torque.

speaking of glass needing refilled, there’s a bottle of Makers Mark Private Select calling...:flipthebird:

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the real reason to slap the adapters on is the improvement in the sound, but if you get a few extra ponies it is just icing on the cake. It is safe to say by this time any ponies gained are long deceased. :beatdeadhorse5:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put them on.

They didn’t do anything to change my 0-60
Or 0-100 times. That’s proof in my pudding.
It also did not change my 30mph Roll on to 80 time.

Even if the dyno showed 5 horsepower somewhere in the curve.... it’s not doing anything in real life.

Thus my opinion they didn’t do anything.