GEN 2 Whipple Stage 1 Kit Feedback Thread!

Feedback on Whipple Tune

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jikjak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah i see now, the dyno graph on whipple's site states 91 octane but on the description page the hp and tq gain numbers have an asterisk beside them and on the bottom of the page it says this:

*Flywheel power ratings with 93 octane. Power levels may vary depending on octane and conditions.

It would definitely be nice to see more information on the SPD downpipes. Does anyone know if you still need the SPD adapter when buying their downpipes?

There definitely is a big difference in price when comparing SPD catted dp to the kooks green catted downpipes ($750vs$1325). Apparently the kooks green dp work well and do not throw any codes.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the SPD cats but I personally would be very hesitant to use any aftermarket cats other than Kooks' green cats.

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im glad the thread is getting back on track, there is a lot of good information in this thread and its great to see the excellent customer support that Whipple is providing. Im glad that I went with their products.

Ive got a couple questions about the stage 1 kit. Whipple's website says it gains 150tq(flywheel) over stock, but on the numbers from Toadster's run, the tq gains are only around 50wtq which equals about 60tq(flywheel). The Hp gains seem to match up with what the website says.
Am i misreading something or could it be that the SPD adaptors are a factor in this? Perhaps the gains from all the mods kind of overlap each other instead of stacking on top of each other? Or is it due to the 91 octane gas used? The Whipple numbers on their website is based on 93 octane.
Just curious about this, either way the gains are still good and perhaps i can do some stock and modded dyno runs as well. However, i doubt that I can do the before and after on the same day.

Secondly, if downpipes were to be added to Whipple stage 1, would it be better to go catless or with high flow cats? As I understand, high flow cats wont throw a CEL, but will catless paired with whipple tune throw a CEL?

The biggest torque gain peaks around 2600rpm if you do a pull from 1200rpm to redline, that's where that massive peak torque change is. Todd's stock made a bit more torque, but they also vary greatly down low. From 100% stock, we have seen those gains, but in the end, that's still around 450rwtrq, 91 octane and about 480ish on 93 octane. The torque mentioned is not peak to peak, but gain at certain area's of the curve. This is what everyone loves about the cal, the low end grunt.

Downpipes are certainly good investments, I would put them in but I can't get those passed for emissions. But, they may set cat codes, in which case, anti foulers work to eliminate this issue.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

I don't know anything about the SPD cats but I personally would be very hesitant to use any aftermarket cats other than Kooks' green cats.

I agree with Kooks Cats.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Good question. Though I do hope Whipple (working with ford engineers) would not sell a purely superfluous, sound-generating only intake. I have read many times that the stock intakes are well made and support some tuning. I think the larger airflow only comes in when substantially tuning the vehicle thereby requiring the additional airflow. Or it could be a situation that Whipple believes that the airflow generated by the intake will always be sufficient in all conditions. Unbeknownst to us Whipple may have tested conditions in which the stock might fail to provide adequate flow to optimize the tune. Since they work so closely with the manufacture and the tune is sufficient for OEM reliability this would make sense to me. Set it and forget it type of thing. I have studied this forum sufficiently enough that I cannot remember any type of code being thrown by this particular intake. I believe others have thrown codes.

However, the website says it flows 132% more than stock. If you take that literally it means it flows 2.32 times more than stock. Way overkill I think. Now if you make the mistake that many people do then 132% actually means 32% more than stock. I might be wrong, but this mistake is quite common. For instance, many people believe that doubling flow of any liquid/gas is an increase of 200% which in reality it is just 100%.

That said in my opinion the 32% overstock makes more sense because the boost that the tune generates could require 1/3 more airflow. According to my numeric analysis earlier in this thread the tune makes around 30% more horsepower and torque, so the numbers are in line with the additional intake flow.

Regardless, I do hope that the intake serves a needed purpose. But I’m not an engineer either.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

I just checked their website. The dyno results provided were with 91 octane purchased at a Chevron. The ambient air temperature was 93.

From what I read it’s never a great idea to install DP with no cats. From what I remember many people have done this. A code appears very often in this situation. Sometimes down pipes that do have cats also throw codes.

People have used O2 extenders to remedy this with varied success. Both with cats and no cats on the DP’s.

But in terms of the torque gains as reported on the website as compared to the numbers I ran earlier. I would like an answer for this as well. Things just don’t add up for the torque. And I can’t figure out how they could get those numbers.

Our air intake flows WAY more than ever needed. Stock apps pickup up an honest 10-12rwhp with just the intake so its not a waste or a smoke in mirror product so to speak. Only issue, the intake by itself will typically set a air leak code as it sees it has more airflow from its calculated value.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

One thing you guys should all know, if you have to turn a code off in a custom cal, your monitors will most likely never set because you can't actually turn the codes off on the Raptors, they are hard coded. So you can turn it off, the code on the light won't show, but the PCM won't run any test since there's a pending code in the background. If your trying to have an emissions friendly setup, be aware it won't pass.

jikjak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Whipple Charged Thanks for the reply and clearing that up! As stated above, quick and detailed! What kind of dyno do you guys use?

BTW should i send in my ecu file and get my tune now (ahead of time) or am i better off just waiting until Im ready to install my parts? (seems like tunes get updated from time to time)
Im still waiting for some other parts to arrive and have a baby due in the next couple weeks so i may not be able to install for another month or so.

Last edited:

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I literally spun my 37" Baja TA Projects all the way through 1st gear today, with traction control still on ! Lots of axle wrap and noise... In wondering because the speedo isn't corrected for 37s if the traction control is affected?

Either way the tune is crazy since I couldn't even spin my stock 35s lol

Going Deavers and the Fox IBP bumpstop setup so there's no more axle wrap and wheel hop with all this extra power.

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I literally spun my 37" Baja TA Projects all the way through 1st gear today, with traction control still on ! Lots of axle wrap and noise... In wondering because the speedo isn't corrected for 37s if the traction control is affected?

Either way the tune is crazy since I couldn't even spin my stock 35s lol

Going Deavers and the Fox IBP bumpstop setup so there's no more axle wrap and wheel hop with all this extra power.

Boo yah!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@Whipple Charged Thanks for the reply and clearing that up! As stated above, quick and detailed! What kind of dyno do you guys use?

BTW should i send in my ecu file and get my tune now (ahead of time) or am i better off just waiting until Im ready to install my parts? (seems like tunes get updated from time to time)
Im still waiting for some other parts to arrive and have a baby due in the next couple weeks so i may not be able to install for another month or so.

We have the updates available, along with the tire/axle change fix so just send an email with your vin and we can send you a new bin and app file, you’ll be good to go :)

If we make updates later, you can always update again. We don’t limit the updates.

And yes when you have that baby, your not gonna have anytime! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20