From 6 ft under to 6 ft over - the story of a 2010 Raptor rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AL-Jazz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys (and ladies too). I just picked up a 2010 Raptor which had been rearended and pronounced dead by the insurance company. I guess I should backup and start with some background...

My career is in a high stress field and I travel 3-6 days each week averaging anywhere from 4-10 flights in a single week. When I am home and have down time I like to work with my hands where I can actually create something and see the physical results of my efforts. For the past 30 years I have been building/rebuilding vehicles. On two different occasions during that time I have turned my hobby into a successful business and consequently lost interest and sold out. I now only rebuild 2-4 vehicles a year and do so for myself, family, or friends. I usually keep a sports car and a 4x4 of some type. Eventually they all go away because inevitably someone comes along that wants it more than I do or (more commonly than I would like to admit) I get bored and want a new project...and that brings me to my current project, the 2010 Raptor.

I buy most of my vehicles at the insurance auctions like IAAI or CoPart. This past summer I rebuild a Jaguar F-Type V8 S convertible and while I loved the 520HP and the drop top, I got bored and started searching the web looking for something I had never owned but always wanted. I found this Raptor at a salvage reseller. Like I mentioned, I usually save money by sourcing mine directly from the auction, but I sold the F-Type and bought this one from 74auto.com.

I started the teardown yesterday and have ordered all the parts necessary to rebuild her. I located a used bed in upper NY which has been purchased and is currently in transit. I also want to go back with a factory front bumper but have decided I like the white monochrome look so will be color matching the bumpers and flares. I located a take-off front bumper and it is in-route via Greyhound from PA.

From the dealer I bought a new rear axle housing, front left fender, right rear spring hanger, and new rear bumper components.

In addition, I have ordered Kooks headers, JBA SideSweep exhaust, Volant CAI, and a SCT tuner from Stage 3 w/ 5 Star custom tune. :party36:

Attachments

• 4_923.jpg
    4_923.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 12_788.jpg
    12_788.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AL-Jazz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also purchased a RoughCountry hidden winch mount (PN 1010) and when I removed all the front parts yesterday I was able to get it installed.

Attachments

• IMG_1134.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
A

AL-Jazz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got the bed off and am pleasantly surprised with the minimal frame damage. I am awaiting delivery of the new rear Class III tow/crossmember so I can get her up on the frame machine and make any adjustments necessary to get her back into factory specs. I will also need the new right rear spring hanger to make sure everything is aligned.

The one negative I am fairly unhappy about is the bent rear axle housing. I specifically asked Blake at 74auto if the rear differential housing was bend and he said it was not...but it is VERY bent.

I located a used one in TX, however it had 172k miles on it and they wanted $1700 +shipping. Consequently, I ordered a complete new housing from the dealer this morning. That set me back $1900 but I know it will be new with no issues. I will swap out the carrier and guts while installing new bearings and seals and everything should be good.

Attachments

• IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
A

AL-Jazz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone had previously installed a Firestone airbag system which I removed. I also checked the shocks for any damage and fortunately all are in great shape, no damage, and not bent. Looking forward to receiving the bed and starting to put her back together. Due to the holiday, most of the parts will not be in until Wed or Thursday of next week, but there is plenty to be done between now and then.

CloudK1LL

Reaction score
Very cool project. Wish I had the resources and know-how to tackle such projects. I'm from Bama too, btw. I'll be following your build! Good luck!

Wolfpack14

Reaction score
Very cool! Definitely going to be following the rebuild.

Whats the rarest car/truck you've rebuilt?

OP
OP
A

AL-Jazz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool! Definitely going to be following the rebuild.

Whats the rarest car/truck you've rebuilt?

That is a hard question...I've done resto-mods on a '68 Impala, a '72 C-10 Stepside with a crate 502 RamJet, a Cadillac XLR, various Vettes, and a couple Porsche 928s. A couple of the most unusual were the Escalade used in the 8-Ball and MJG music video for Straight Cadillac Pimpin' and a full custom Ford Excursion for Marcell Dareus (see magazine pic below).

I guess the rarest would have been a '89 Turbo Trans Am number 1253 of only 1500 made. That was a FAST beast.

Here is a build thread on the Jaguar F-Type V8 S I built this past summer:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/deathbed-roadbed-rebuild-story-179267/

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
A

AL-Jazz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Volant CAI came in so I was able to get it installed today. While mine is a 2010, I purchased the 2011-2014 kit knowing I would have to make some minor modifications for it to work. It was not too difficult and only required the moving (redrilling) of one hole in which to attach a bracket. I don't have a cap yet since the (very poor) directions stated one was to use the original factory overflow tank cap. I ordered one online and it should be here Wed. WIth the Kooks headers and this CAI, it sounds good and settled into a nice smooth idle.

One suggestion if performing the same install, I would recommend replacing all the original and supplied plumbing. I ran to the local parts store and bought new 5/8, 3/8, and 5/32 tubing for the breathers and overflow hoses. Also on the valve cover breather I split the original OEM pipe and exposed the barbed end on which to attach the new 5/8 hose. The other end of the factory connector still snapped into place on the valve cover OEM connection. It was at a nice 30 degree angle which worked quite well to route the new tubing to the CAI. You can see the new tubing and the original OEM connection in the lower right of the 3rd picture. I also used hose clamps on all connections just to ensure they do not come loose while on the trails.

Overall it was a nice fit and seems to be of the same quality construction of previous Volant CAIs I have installed previously on other vehicles.

Attachments

• IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1144.jpg
    IMG_1144.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 88