2014 Raptor Cant Pass Smog - O2/Heater/Catalyst won't activate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prowakeskater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all

Having some problems

I have a 2014 Raptor purchased brand new in the midwest, recently moved to CA and cannot pass the initial ECU smog test. Im getting 3 failures/Test not completes:

O2 Sensor
O2 Heater
Catalyst

Took my truck to ford her in California to make sure the ECU is fine, I DID previously have a tuner and removed it a year ago and took it to ford after and had them flash my ecu back to stock. This was in Florida.

Ford here in california gave me a paper packet after charging me $150 to verify the ecu was alright. packet showed the steps in order to get my stuff to pass but I've done it all and nothing is working

I have no check engine lights and verified the fuel trims are working, so the o2 sensors are functional, just not passing the tests.

Kinda out of ideas other than getting a Smog Referee (which is an option luckily)

anyone else experience this?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where is the Tuner you had? If you lost it or sold it your screwed.

You may have go back to them, (you have no choice now) and tell them you need the PCM to be factory reprogrammed.
The dealer will have to contact Ford and get a whole new Tune with your vin# from Ford.
It's going cost you more than the $150 labor charge.

Incompletes on the three you mentioned means the rear O2s are turned off or damaged.
Do you have headers? If not it could be the wires are damaged going to the rear O2s.
Short and Long Fuel TRMS are going to work regardless.

The rear O2s monitor the gases coming out of the cats and the temp of the cats and how long it takes to heat up correctly, that's why there called heated O2s
They also help the front O2s to calculate Fuel TRMS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
prowakeskater

prowakeskater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, I do still have the tuner but I don't believe it still works. Interesting the other guy failed the same 3 because he had a tune on. Sounds like the tune is still present

truck is completely stock

OP
OP
prowakeskater

prowakeskater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright, found my tuner and got it working and sure enough, was able to flash back to stock

cannot believe how much time and money I wasted... Jesus

thanks dudes

jpwrx2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this exact same issue, it was in the Tune JDM sent me. They had my stuff turned off accidently. Should be an easy fix.

TK421

Reaction score
I’m going threw this same ordeal as well in my 13’ I just bought from a dealer. Bought it, had low miles, “certified” and came with a super good warranty.

I’ve been waiting forever for my plates in the mail and finally just got a letter in the mail (actually had to go to the post office and sign for it and wait for 20 mins in line) that said they never smogged the vehicle and can’t complete my registration. They coulda just called me!!?

Went to smog it myself since I’m a smog tech/mechanic the smog machine popped up with a message that it failed it’s last smog for functional test (monitors) 8/17/17. Wtf. Checked the monitors myself and there it is, all 3 of those are still in the red.

I’ve driven the vehicle 3,000 miles back and forth to Arizona and in busy Socal traffic so far since buying it and those 3 exact monitors won’t clear, done all the drive cycles that ford says and nothing. My scanner shows the O2/heated o2 sensors are both showing readings, It’s reading the cat temps and no pending codes.

Guess I gotta back to ford? They told me to bring it back and they will give me a rental car while “they drive it for me til it passes” which i don’t really want to let some random guy driving around in my truck for hours/days for fun doing god knows what to it when I can drive it myself which clearly isnt helping.

How do people tune these? With one of those scanners you buy? I got nothing with the vehicle.

Last edited: