Ram Mount for iPad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used Ram Mounts in my airplane to hold an iPad for the moving map display, so I thought it would be great to do the same for my Raptor. I figured I could use it for the Waze app or similar for driving, and I believe there are apps for off-road use. (Let me know which apps you use).

The recommended mounts for trucks were a bit expensive and they bolted to the passenger seat rail/floor. I thought it might be better to attach the Ram iPad mount & arm to something that would fit into the cupholder. At first, I couldn’t find a cupholder mount for it, so I decided to make one myself. I’ll attach more details on the homemade one later in this thread.

I finally did find one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Beverage-Drinks-coating-compatible-composite/dp/B073XD52WW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512440155&sr=8-1&keywords=Truck+Car+Beverage+Drinks+Cup+Holder+Mount+Base+with+1+inch

The picture shows this mount base with an Ram iPad mini setup, (sorry about the rotation). This worked out pretty well for everyday use, but I understand now why Ram sells the floor attached arms. With my setup, the iPad will move when going over road bumps. The movement is not from the holder, arm, or base. It comes from the flex of the plastic console itself. So, this may not work very well for off-road use.

Ram Mounts has a few floor base models, but I’m not sure about the induced vibrations which are directly proportional to arm length. This is an experiment in progress.

Attachments

• 20171124_142922.jpg
    20171124_142922.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run the floor mount models, suction cups from the windshield, and the versions that allow you to attach the base with screws or tape.

The floor mounted versions work for me only if you can also support the rod partway up the length. If they are only attached at the seat rail you will experience some vibration and it is annoying.

The best fix to vibration problems has been the iPad mini in a suction cup ram mount from the windshield. The iPad can be adjusted to provide a little pressure against the dash, making it rock solid in use. I have run the last 2 Snoball's, tons of local off-road events, some shenanigans on my own, and still, have not had any issues. My biggest concern was the suction cup staying attached to the window but once it's up there you're fine.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is just a single large suction cup. I haven't played with any that have multiple suction cups.

BuiltRight

Reaction score
You might be interested in something like the mount that I whipped up the other day. Laser cutting and forming a couple of them this week. If you'd be willing to install and test one to compare with the other mounts you've tried, I'd be happy to send you one. I'm going to make a shorter version for guys with a shallower ash tray.

If there are a few people interested, I'd be willing to make more.

Matt

dO6OHrA.jpg

DWH3

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be interested in something like the mount that I whipped up the other day. Laser cutting and forming a couple of them this week. If you'd be willing to install and test one to compare with the other mounts you've tried, I'd be happy to send you one. I'm going to make a shorter version for guys with a shallower ash tray.

Matt

dO6OHrA.jpg

I'd be interested in one for my 2013. I just got the ram mount the other day but have been struggling with exactly where to mount it. This looks like a really good option.

jpwrx2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Matt

dO6OHrA.jpg

I’m looking into mounts for my iPad and would love to test one for you

D

Deleted member 17706

I saw this thread and I immediately ordered a setup for my iPad. I purchased the double suction mount with the Tab-Tite. It is compatible with HD cases, so I do not have to take my case on and off. I hit the road for the holidays on Saturday and drove 16.5 hours with it mounted on the drive side window. I have it positioned in line with my A-pillar. In short, I love it! I barely have to take my eyes off the road.

The product is nicely made and seems like it should hold up well. I was so impressed, I also ordered the Ram-A-Can where I can have my phone set up in the cup holder. Since all Ram Mount products are compatible with one another, I will be able to run my iPad off the Ram-A-Can as well. I will see what set up I like best.

If you are a skeptic, then you need to purchase one! You will be quite pleased :)

Here is the link for the double suction mount - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3XZL6M/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Also, the link for the Ram-A-Can and large phone holder - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMOEOWI/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Last edited by a moderator:

jpwrx2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this thread and I immediately ordered a setup for my iPad. I purchased the double suction mount with the Tab-Tite. It is compatible with HD cases, so I do not have to take my case on and off. I hit the road for the holidays on Saturday and drove 16.5 hours with it mounted on the drive side window. I have it positioned in line with my A-pillar. In short, I love it! I barely have to take my eyes off the road.

The product is nicely made and seems like it should hold up well. I was so impressed, I also ordered the Ram-A-Can where I can have my phone set up in the cup holder. Since all Ram Mount products are compatible with one another, I will be able to run my iPad off the Ram-A-Can as well. I will see what set up I like best.

If you are a skeptic, then you need to purchase one! You will be quite pleased :)

Here is the link for the double suction mount - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3XZL6M/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Also, the link for the Ram-A-Can and large phone holder - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMOEOWI/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Any pics of it mounted??