Slow cranking...Fuel issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhanni848

Reaction score
This started about a month ago, and has slowly gotten worse. First start of the day, and if it sits for a couple of hours it is very slow to crank and start. The only solution I found was to turn the key to the ON position (not trying to turn it over), waiting 10 or more seconds, and then it will fire as it should. If I just try to put the key in and start it acts like the battery is dying then cranks.

I can start it over and over with no problems. Searching only gave me a post that all the trucks had tunes. I have no tune. Battery is brand new as a week ago and no performance mods.

Anyone else have the problem, or any ideas?

OP
OP
dhanni848

dhanni848

Reaction score
Thanks! Not sure how I didnt find the fuse27 deal. Where is the best place to buy the TSB kit from? Or just cut and solder in the new spot?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you run a battery test with one of those load testers?

Anyway It's battery related,
you're going to have to do a proper cleaning of the terminals
and you may have to go down to the starter and remove the nut and clean the connections up.
Good time to buy a terminal cleanup kit with the brush, red spray and felt pads!!!
Make sure to leave the battery disconnected when doing the starter connection.
Had to do my starter connections two years ago, they were pretty bad.
Also you should the three bolts holding the starter mine had come loose and it has happened to a few members also.

When fuse 27 goes bad it will crank really fast but not start, JFYI
My fuse burned out after 7 years, I just replaced it a month ago.
I have not done the 27 fuse kit because the terminal is still ok. For now! LOL
You should get some micro fuses and throw them in your truck, always good to have a small set in the truck anyway.

Last edited:

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ebay/amazon has the fuse 27 relo kit very cheap
Followed a video on YouTube and it was done in an hour
Feel comfortable heading off the beaten path with this done

OP
OP
dhanni848

dhanni848

Reaction score
thank you both. fuse 27 looked perfect and really brand new. the relocation had not been done either. when i replaced the battery i cleaned everything and added the little felt pads too. i will check the starter tomorrow and clean that up. if that doesnt work it should be the vapor canister...i hope.

definitely going to be stocking up on some mini fuses now that i have read all of this! probably just go ahead and do the vapor canister as well.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When the canister purge valve goes bad it normally throws a code.
It's part of the evap emissions control, I cant see that being an issue with the battery.

OP
OP
dhanni848

dhanni848

Reaction score
Didn't get a chance to clean up the starter this weekend. Priority of winterizing the boat took over.

Hopefully be able to look at it Wednesday. I have no codes.