How Necessary is the Torsen From Dif?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder how many of the guys posting in this thread actually understand the science behind what the torsen does and what it doesn't.

Anyway, you are debating a $400 performance option on a $60k+ truck? I believe it is already included with 802?

Since you are bragging about much smarter you are than everyone else, why don't you tell us how it works.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I wonder how many of the guys posting in this thread actually understand the science behind what the torsen does and what it doesn't.

Anyway, you are debating a $400 performance option on a $60k+ truck? I believe it is already included with 802?

Yeah, but it is hard to find on a < 802a truck that isn’t customer ordered.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Daily driver? Street use?

Not needed.

But the Raptor isn't needed for that either.

You'll still buy it. And it'll cost you a small fortune. So get the Torsen front diff - it'll at least help resale :mwah1:

Heresy! Blasphemy! You want us to roll into Starbucks in a Lariat or worse, an XLT?

paulny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the science behind it, but I guess I would rather have it and potentially not need it rather than need it and not have it. So, I am glad my 802A came with it.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since you are bragging about much smarter you are than everyone else, why don't you tell us how it works.

:ROFLJest::ROFLJest::ROFLJest:

The Torsen differential works just like a conventional differential, but can lock up if a torque imbalance occurs, the maximum ratio of torque imbalance being defined by the Torque Bias Ratio (TBR). When a Torsen has a 3:1 TBR, that means that one side of the differential can handle up to 75% while the other side would have to only handle 25% of applied torque. During acceleration under asymmetric traction conditions, so long as the higher traction side can handle the higher percentage of applied torque, no relative wheelspin will occur. When the traction difference exceeds the TBR, the slower output side of the differential receives the tractive torque of the faster wheel multiplied by the TBR; any extra torque remaining from applied torque contributes to the angular acceleration of the faster output side of the differential.

For those that need the instructor led class. See below.:mwah1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEiSTzK-A2A

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:ROFLJest::ROFLJest::ROFLJest:

The Torsen differential works just like a conventional differential, but can lock up if a torque imbalance occurs, the maximum ratio of torque imbalance being defined by the Torque Bias Ratio (TBR). When a Torsen has a 3:1 TBR, that means that one side of the differential can handle up to 75% while the other side would have to only handle 25% of applied torque. During acceleration under asymmetric traction conditions, so long as the higher traction side can handle the higher percentage of applied torque, no relative wheelspin will occur. When the traction difference exceeds the TBR, the slower output side of the differential receives the tractive torque of the faster wheel multiplied by the TBR; any extra torque remaining from applied torque contributes to the angular acceleration of the faster output side of the differential.

For those that need the instructor led class. See below.:mwah1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEiSTzK-A2A

And at least according to some people in this forum the Torsen is the source of the crazy levels of torque steer the Raptor has in 4wd. It would be interesting to hear if the non-Torsen models have as much of steering feedback in 4wd.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
As a factory option the Torsen is $500. To add it after the fact will easily cost 3-4 times that amount. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.