Bought a 2014. Have some comments and questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allenfrx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i bought this 2014 which appears to have been what you guys call a mall crawler.

It is apparantly an SVT with all the luxury options so its a loaded model.

History on me...
1)I have always wanted a raptor but couldn't afford one.
2) Was always a mustang guy. Have owned 8 mustangs including a classic (65) and a GT500 (11 SVT with 3.73s, Pulley, Tune, Intake and exhaust dynoed at 620hp 620tq).
3) Have also owned stuff like C7 vets, 370s, and a Lexus RCF.
4) My truck experience is limited to an old 4wd 87 Jeep Cherokee pioneer and a Nissan Titan and a couple other explorers and Cherokee models.

A few things of note.

1) The new car manager has personally owned two Raptors....didn't know the front cam can be operated in 2H by pressing ORM and turning it on. Working at a ford dealership and owning two....he apparantly knows Nothing about how to use one??

2) This was a one owner model. I was going through the manual and found a discrepancy so i took it back today. It turns out the truck was sold with a defective left wheel column stick (turn signal, window washer) and with 9 miles on the odometer.... the Ford dealership replaced it with the wrong stick.....they used the one without the control for the front cam washer. So this guy who supposedly has only ever owned raptors, didnt discover it for 39k miles and 3 years. Ford missed it in all of their inspections and servicing for 3 years and two sales.

I ....a not raptor, not truck guy found both the service departments mistake and the knowledge deficit of the new car manager in less than 24 hours.

Whats up with all the incompetence?

Ive been through the whole truck and the only other issue that i can find is that getting it out of 4l is hit or miss and can take a few trys (which according to TFLs long term review on the 14 is.....normal).

I don't plan to mod it, i will but some cheap recovery gear and do some light off road and camping but nothing major. It also has a nice light kit that takes up 3 of the auxiliary toggles

I would def add a winch, but living in the south and not doing major off roading might be a waste.

I live near the famous ofg road site called the "gulches" and plan to go...but that 80 acre off road site is set up for dune buggies, modified wrangles, motorcycles, 4 wheelers etc. And most is out of the Raptors capability.

http://www.gulchesorvpark.com

No high speed off roading avail here...sadly.

.fb473fc0360a428d70b3cf3b8190e4ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
a00b74e50efe2da85d711b4d2015353d.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

Congrats and welcome to FRF!

Most dealers do not know all the in's and out's of the raptor so there is no surprise there of your experience. And I seriously doubt anyone would notice the column stick unless the owner pointed it out. It turned the signal and did the main wipers, they probably didn't even think it did it for the camera.

Personally I have only used the front camera a few times when off-roading. It turns off at 15 mph and I don't do much slow crawling off-road. And for the record, just turning on ORM does not allow the front camera to come on. You have to turn on ORM AND lock the rear diff OR go to 4L.

I have never had an issue going into or out of 4L when I needed to use it. You have to go to N and sometimes move forward, big deal. And the TFL crew is a joke in most people's opinions here.

I wouldn't take a SCREW to that park. Buy a jeep for that shit. Head out west and take it to the desert to really enjoy it. Glad its moving on from the mall crawler as it sounds like you will atleast get it dirty.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beautiful truck. It has what appears to be the Ford Performance oem gen 2 Raptor wheels. Guess they swapped out the original SVT wheels that came with it initially?

OP
OP
allenfrx

allenfrx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to FRF!

Most dealers do not know all the in's and out's of the raptor so there is no surprise there of your experience. And I seriously doubt anyone would notice the column stick unless the owner pointed it out. It turned the signal and did the main wipers, they probably didn't even think it did it for the camera.

Personally I have only used the front camera a few times when off-roading. It turns off at 15 mph and I don't do much slow crawling off-road. And for the record, just turning on ORM does not allow the front camera to come on. You have to turn on ORM AND lock the rear diff OR go to 4L.

I have never had an issue going into or out of 4L when I needed to use it. You have to go to N and sometimes move forward, big deal. And the TFL crew is a joke in most people's opinions here.

I wouldn't take a SCREW to that park. Buy a jeep for that shit. Head out west and take it to the desert to really enjoy it. Glad its moving on from the mall crawler as it sounds like you will atleast get it dirty.
First time i tried going from 4l back to 4h it seemed to get stuck, wouldnt let me go out of neutral without making a grinding sound. Wouldnt complete the change, asked me to pull forward but wouldn't allow shift into drive...process seemed to time out.

The fix was to turn the dial back to 4l again, let it cycle....THEN try going back to 4H and doing the whole neutral/move forward thing.

The process was is slow and when it locks in with a jerk and a thud. Seemed like having to switch BACK to 4l, reset and retry might be SOP at times for this thing.

From what little research i could find on the matter that was "normal operations characteristic" of the vehicle bit if it's not...let me know now. I have 30 days to address with the dealer ship.

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

Beautiful truck. It has what appears to be the Ford Performance oem gen 2 Raptor wheels. Guess they swapped out the original SVT wheels that came with it initially?
As a Newb i am still learning.

Is that a down grade or an upgrade???

Last edited:
OP
OP
allenfrx

allenfrx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i had to go look...yeap, they look like the stock 2016/17 wheels.

Best guess.....the previous owner had custom wheels and when he traded for a new raptor he had them swap his upgraded wheels he had on the 14 with what came on his 17 as stock.

I knew they looked brand new...the tires to.

Thats good i guess.

He had a few mods, there is a drill hole through the console so something has been pulled out and there was double sided tape in the instrument cluster where something was stuck in the dash.

I would normally think it had been modded so it must be heavily used but there isnt a scratch on this truck unless you count the truck bed so i am guessing it was little more than a radar detector/dash cam/ after market subwoofer or CB radio or something...probably pulled it and installed in his new raptor along with his wheels.

Last edited:

smurfskier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might want to,check the tires. Gen 2 raptors came with a c load rated tire while,the gen 1 i believe uses a d-load rated tire. I believe the c load has less ply’s to the sidewall. might make the truck feel a little loose handling wise

D

Deleted member 12951

you might want to,check the tires. Gen 2 raptors came with a c load rated tire while,the gen 1 i believe uses a d-load rated tire. I believe the c load has less ply’s to the sidewall. might make the truck feel a little loose handling wise

This! Better check it out. Have them change the tires. Some tire shops will not put on Load C tires on the GEN1 raptor. They are for the lighter GEN2.

OP
OP
allenfrx

allenfrx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This! Better check it out. Have them change the tires. Some tire shops will not put on Load C tires on the GEN1 raptor. They are for the lighter GEN2.
Is there a way to easily verify that myself?