How Necessary is the Torsen From Dif?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chujk1985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a daily driven Raptor, how important or necessary is the Torsen front dif?

Is this something you would really only need for off-roading?

Thanks!

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Thanks!

The Raptor has all the typical electronic stability and traction control devices that manage wheel spin, so Torsen is redundant for driving on slippery roads. Torsen is a traction aid for off-road trails when all the electronic nannies are turned off.

Mistacheese

Reaction score
Loose traction surfaces it'll help a lot, snow, sand, etc. I slide around a lot in the snow, *(I live in the snow belt, so probably more snow than the average driver of a Raptor). Having the traction nannies is helpful for when my wife is driving, but trying to put the power down while drifting snow covered lots or playing on groomed trails (Or on Mexican roads) a mechanical aid is preferable for me. Helps keep wheels spinning while driving momentum. If you don't push hard in slippery conditions, I would say it's unneeded. It is also easily swapped in or out if you have the tools and know-how if you regret whichever way you chose to go.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
For your stated application that torsen diff definitely may not be needed however my main concern would be the effect not having it would make resale. 99% of owners/ perspective owners want that option. Not checking that box will definitely hurt down the road.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn if you do damn if you don't....A must to have, save money on not getting graphics or bead lock wheels.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many of the guys posting in this thread actually understand the science behind what the torsen does and what it doesn't.

Anyway, you are debating a $400 performance option on a $60k+ truck? I believe it is already included with 802?

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Thanks!

Daily driver? Street use?

Not needed.

But the Raptor isn't needed for that either.

You'll still buy it. And it'll cost you a small fortune. So get the Torsen front diff - it'll at least help resale :mwah1: