Airaid vs. aFe Stage 2 Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SaintsFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to decide be these two. After reading all of the threads/posts I could find on the subject, the Airaid seems very popular and well-liked by many. But I haven't found any reviews of the aFe Stage 2. Please give me your feedback aFe owners. I would be running either intake in conjunction with 5 Star Tunes from Mike. The aFe would have the custom lid from 5 star. Thanks!

SoSmoked

changes his exhaust setup more than his underwear
Reaction score
X2 I'm considering running one with the 5 star tune. I'm most concerned with quality of the cai... Always been afraid of crossing a river or simply playing in the creek and destroying my engine

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I have the AFE Stage II with the Dry S filter. Sound is awesome nice growl and I'm running it with the 5Star tune as well.
I recommend but thats me. Never had the AirAid so I can't compare.
JMO

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Also I don't have the lid from 5Star but I will purchase soon, also I really haven't seen any major dirt or any water at all inside the box.
But I will get the lid just in case and to stop sucking warm air from under hood.

OP
OP
SaintsFan

SaintsFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ironman. Have you ever run your AFE with the factory tune, and if so, were there any issues? I read somewhere that the increased air flow might confuse the factory tune MAF sensor code, which is adjusted by the 5 Star tunes.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Thanks Ironman. Have you ever run your AFE with the factory tune, and if so, were there any issues? I read somewhere that the increased air flow might confuse the factory tune MAF sensor code, which is adjusted by the 5 Star tunes.

yes I've run it with the factory tune and yes there are issues.
I would take off from a light full acceleration and shifting from 1st to 2nd it would
kinda choke itself then shift (CAI only). 5 Star took care of all that and never happened again.
When I return it to stock I remove the CAI or just drive normal no hard accel.

fshol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had (still have it laying in th garage) the Airaid, but found it too loud. I now have the 5star intake which is less noisy, but still noticable.

OP
OP
SaintsFan

SaintsFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically if you have the AFE 2 Stage with 5 Star tune and need to bring your truck into the dealer for service, you must (1) reload factory tune and (2) reinstall factory intake. After the service is complete, you then reload custom tune and reinstall the AFE intake. Is this correct, and if so, how much of a PIA is it to do this everytime you need service?

IRONMAN

Reaction score
So basically if you have the AFE 2 Stage with 5 Star tune and need to bring your truck into the dealer for service, you must (1) reload factory tune and (2) reinstall factory intake. After the service is complete, you then reload custom tune and reinstall the AFE intake. Is this correct, and if so, how much of a PIA is it to do this everytime you need service?

Well ME personally I would always return to stock to take into dealer, if they (your dealer) are Mod friendly then no worries.
Intake takes me roughly 5 mins to remove and return to stock.
Tune is roughly 10 to 15 mins.