Maintenance for unused shocks

• Thread starter Deleted member 17706
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 17706

I have searched the forum, but I have not found any threads pertaining to this particular question. If you have a Gen 1 Raptor that you stored as a collector vehicle should you do any maintenance to the shocks? It is a 14 with less than 1000 miles. I know you ought to get the shocks serviced according to mileage and off-road use; however, I did not know if the fluids would break down and go bad from simply not using it.

I am going to start driving it, so I am in the process of changing all the fluids on it (brake fluid, power steering, transmission, differentials, etc). I do not want to damage the shocks.

Thanks for your help!

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
most likely the nitrogen charge needs to be checked which will require removal, so might as well change the oil at the same time..

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its not the best thing when the vehicle has no mileage and in your case none at all. You might have to through changing all the fluids including trans diffs ps....check out the seals and gaskets for leaks. Regarding shocks, i think just drive it and check for leaks, once its on the road, and see for yourself if the ride is normal or they feel like they need a rebuild.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's averaged a mile a day so far if it's three years old. Change the oil and drive it- don't worry about it.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drive it, check for leaks, rebuild if required. Depending on the bearing and seal caps the main oil seal may have gotten to dry and cracked, but it would need to be an early production 2010 to have the susceptible o-ring instead of the slightly tougher lip seal. As for the nitrogen charge, its probably just fine and I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some leaks.

Reaction score
Will maintenance be required on shocks if I buy an extra set to leave on a shelf until mine need a rebuild? Or will they be good for a year or two?

Camperguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk, theres a company that basically sell heavy duty bags you drive your truck into. Disconnect the battery, unload the suspension (jack stands) . A large dessicant pack is placed in there and you can suck it shut with a shop vac or fill the bag with nitrogen. Yes you will suffocate if you go in it. I never had enough money to keep a car as an investment but this setup looked cool. Yes it was in a climate controlled room with hepa filtration.