Broken Moonroof Track

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

d4nguy

Reaction score
Looks like this has been a common problem. Something snapped when opening my moonroof and now it won't close. It gets to about the point it tilts up but then binds then opens all the way again. From what I've seen, the cheap plastic mechanism which connects the moonroof to the track commonly breaks. My truck is out of warranty and I've heard $1700-$2000+ for repair.

I'm going to attempt the repair myself using these parts (http://ebay.to/2v9RK56) and this walkthrough (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4wW7fAFOlE). Looks pretty straightfoward but very time consuming. Also have to drill out some rivets. Not sure why this guy removed the subwoofer.

Has anyone attempted this repair themselves? If so, anything that I should look out for or any suggestions? Not looking forward to this task.

tcm glx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just purchased my Raptor 2 months ago and it suffered from this syndrome.

Fortunately it’s CPO so the dealer replaced it, but the funny part is the service manager said they break from lack of use. The plastics become brittle.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've not done it myself, but I've read all the threads about it on other forums. Sunroof Dr repair kit, a helper if possible, and a weekend will get it done. You don't have to pull the front seats, but it's easier that way.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
So Sunroof Doctor has the kit you need. In the mean time what you can do is pull your headliner down a bit in the rear center (right above the sliding window) and you'll see a box with an allen head bolt in it. Take an allen wrench and turn that and it will manually crank your sunroof closed to get you by until you have time to repair it.

Edit: I've also had mine all the way apart. It's really not hard to do. I'd recommend taking the front seats out just to give yourself room to work. Then you basically take the trim off of all the pillars, remove the sunglasses holder, both sun screens, and you can drop the headliner pretty easy. With that out you'll see that the sunroof is one giant assembly that comes off the roof (this is where help is REALLY nice). Take that out and it'll be pretty obvious whats broke and fixing it isn't hard.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The service manager said they break from lack of use. The plastics become brittle.

I've heard this before, and it seems odd to me, but maybe.

I know tires "excrete" a waxy substance from their sidewalls that help protect from UV damage, but only when they are driven on regularly and the sidewalls get flexed. If they just sit, that doesn't happen.

Maybe the same thing is done with the plastics? I really think it's more a case of stuff "sticking" since it hasn't moved in a long time, and over coming that friction is enough to break parts.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When the dealer replaced my sunroof the tech told me to use white lithium grease (spray can) and shoot the track and moving parts from time to time.
Not alot, just wee bit. You can clog up the drain tubes if you over do it. So I spray and wipe!!!

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also limo tinted the Glass to keep the UV toned down , and unplugged the switch so it cant accidentally be hit .

OP
OP
D

d4nguy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I was able to get the moonroof closed by removing the glass, removing the two broken pieces, positioning the mechanism back into the track properly and reinstalling the glass. I can pop the moonroof up and down, just not slide back more than a few inches. If I go back too far, the mechanism comes out of the track and I would have to remove the glass to reseat it.

I've ordered the replacement kit from Sunroof doctor and I do plan on repairing it, although I most likely will not retract the moonroof anymore. The part that broke clearly has a weak point and will most likely break again. It is unlikely caused by lack of use since the plastic will become brittle regardless of use. Just a poor design or poor material.