2017 Raptor Turbo Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My understanding is if a BOV or waste gate was stuck you would be getting very little, if any boost at all since it would be purged to the atmosphere.

Next question is if this is your first turbo charged vehicle? They do tend to make pretty unique sounds.

If it's a repeatable occurrence might be a good idea to make a recording

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get smoke machine... put it thorugh the intake and give it gas... you'lll find the leak

OP
OP
J

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking @dude1782 but the problem is they have to actually be in the car to witness the valve stuck open.

I picked my truck up last evening from Ford service, and it started back up again on the way home. I think I'm going to do what @smurfslayer suggested and go above my service center.

Mjvthomas

Reaction score
I had something similar happen in an old twin turbo RX7. The problem was a leaking hose connected to the BOV.

Sorry to hear about your dealer, did you buy the truck from them?

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the bleed off is reacting slowly and is “stuck” closed if you will. Causing all the boost pressure to build in your charge section when you let off the gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP, is the noise present in your youtube video?
i was able to listen with headphones on and i have some thoughts but i want to be sure im clear on where the noise you are hearing presents itself.

OP
OP
J

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@AndysLog you can hear the sound in the video get continuously louder as boost builds. The sound you hear is with the Windows all the way up, it's much louder with the Windows down, but the wind noise distorts the audio.

It's so loud the other cars driving by look to see what's wrong. In the video you will also notice that when you hear the knock, the boost drops, and the sound disapears.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@AndysLog you can hear the sound in the video get continuously louder as boost builds. The sound you hear is with the Windows all the way up, it's much louder with the Windows down, but the wind noise distorts the audio.

It's so loud the other cars driving by look to see what's wrong. In the video you will also notice that when you hear the knock, the boost drops, and the sound disapears.

hahaha ok.

the noise smooth "noise" i am hearing are the turbos spooling. through the engine bay, engine running, firewall, 36 kinds of filters and pipes and thats what the turbos spooling sounds like. to me it sounded fine.

the noise at the end is when you let off throttle you are closing your throttle body while still building boost. in this instance you technically overboost a little and i heard some "compressor surge" when you let off. this is the point at which your blow off valve has not opened yet between your compressor wheel and your now closed throttle body. the boost pressure has no where to go so it attempts to head back out of the turbo it came in. the blow off valve picks up on this pressure spike and opens up to slow and stop the compressor surge.

the easiest way to make it do this noise again is go out on a cold morning and boost up your hills and let off throttle hard at peak boost.

ill give it a few more listens, but it sounds normal to me. maybe make a video of where you pinpoint the noise area, might help more.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When my dad was having waste gate problems he got a check engine light and the truck went into limp mode.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@AndysLog I truly appreciate your help and insight but please understand I wouldn't be going through all of this if it was "normal".

This is anything but normal. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in my initial thread but this is extremely loud, there is a Hard knock, it is intermittent. I am one hundred percent confident this is not normal.