2017 Raptor Turbo Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Raptor with 9k miles on it. Besides Borla exhaust, its completely stock. Three times in the last two weeks my turbo has given me issues. When the engine is at lower RPMs and near lugging (freeway stop and go, slight inclines without downshift, Adaptive cruise control, etc) the turbo puts out a very high pitch sound. The sound is like a loud exhaust leak, but coincides directly with the turbo boost. As the boost continues to climb until apps 15psi I hear and feel a lock "knock" and the sound disappears (until the next lug.) The knock is so hard the first several times I thought I had ran over something in the road.

This has happened 3 times, all after the engine has been ran for 30 plus minutes. Once it begins to happen, it doesn't stop until the truck has been well rested. The last time it happened I was out of town and it got so bad I placed my vehicle into snow/ice mode to limit boost and the damage potential from the jarring knock.

The last time this happened I videoed the even to show the Ford service shop. Of course when they took it for a test drive, the issue did not replicate. They claim they cannot work on the turbo/engine until they personally witness the issue themselves. Does this seem right?

Has anyone else had a turbo leak/issue? Perhaps the waste gate or blowoff is getting stuck open?

https://youtu.be/s8cvhUOAv2Q

Please help.

Thanks

flzrider

Reaction score
Perhaps the waste gate or blowoff is getting stuck open?

That seems like a good first guess, but i'm not sure how you would be able to conclusively diagnose this yourself. Maybe someone with some more experience can chime in.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems like a good first guess, but i'm not sure how you would be able to conclusively diagnose this yourself. Maybe someone with some more experience can chime in.

That's my guess (from across the Internet) as well.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ve never heard that, and have about 7k on my truck. That doesn’t sound right.

Your dealer is just being a D!ck and you should call Ford’s main customer service number and rat them out. Do they really think you just made that video up? that has to be one of the most candy ass excuses to not do work I’ve ever heard since owning cars. How many turbocharged models does Ford have now?

You may seriously want to go to another dealer, if they’re that scared of fixing a problem for you, their fear may be legit. Maybe they don’t have techs with any kind of deep understanding of non normally aspirated engines and if that’s the case, do you want them mucking about with your truck?

OP
OP
J

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They said that because they can't actually verify the problem other then the video, Ford would not allow them to work on this issue, and they wouldn't know where to start. It is going to be hard trying to get them in the vehicle on a sporadic issue, especially when they are booked a week out.

I'm supposed to run the Mojave trail with my raptor next month, but now I'm having concerns.

OP
OP
J

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of waste gate issues? Similar to what I explained?

It sounds like a valve within the turbo gets stuck open, then slams shut, causing the hard knock.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What kind of waste gate issues? Similar to what I explained?

It sounds like a valve within the turbo gets stuck open, then slams shut, causing the hard knock.

Loss of boost, rattling, stuck open. Sounds like what you have. If it is the waste gate the dealer can file a warranty claim and get the turbo replaced.