G2 vs '18 F150 4x4 3.5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cliffyelwood

Reaction score
I don't think you're seeing my point. The Raptor really has just three selling points that justify its price compared to a standard F-150 upon which it is based: engine, suspension, and looks.

If drag racing wasn't important, than Ford could have just as easily stuffed a standard EcoBoost under the hood. 375HP and 470lb-ft would be plenty to motivate the Raptor. They put the high-output engine under the hood to make this truck "fast." That's the only reason why they did it. So, if it loses in a comparison test to the standard product with a lower output engine, then everyone should care.

As for suspension, yeah...I read the article about the Raptor losing to the PowerWagon. MotorTrend complained the Raptor wasn't stable traveling at speed on rutted, washboard surfaces. The PowerWagon was...and it only has a standard suspension. The ZR2 was. M/T's argument was that the Raptor was designed to go fast on bumpy off-road surfaces...but it doesn't do it as well as some competitors. I actually believe them...the Raptor feels very squirmy and unstable in the rear at speed over bumps. So if your specialty off-road truck is slower than the standard issue, and less stable off-road at speed...then everyone should care.

Looks are indisputably good. The Raptor is the best looking truck on the road. I'd say the wide stance is what makes this truck.

When it comes to speed, I still believe the Raptor is the fastest pickup truck currently on the market. I don't care about modified old trucks are new trucks with aftermarket bolt on performance parts. What I care about is that the Raptor I bought is the fastest pickup of all factory trucks for the year, and the best off-road. That's why I bought it. Why else would you pay extra for a truck that generally tows and hauls less than a standard F-150?
4 selling points not just 3.

4. The regular F-150 is ass ugly.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of name-calling on this forum. I'm assuming most of us are here because we're Raptor enthusiasts.

Anyway, last night I was reading the Raptor Supplement that comes with the owner's manual. Have any of you guys read it? It speaks specifically about how the Raptor is very good off-road, but what it "truly excels at is driving off-road at high speed." To me, that indicates the truck is designed to be fast. Nowhere in the F-150 manual (which also comes with a Raptor) does it mention driving fast as a positive, normal thing.

I just want to emphasize how much I like this truck. Yesterday, I got my 7500lb tractor stuck in soft mud along the edge of a reservoir. My other, smaller tractor was unable to pull it out. So I jumped in the Raptor and tried with that. It was not able to pull the tractor out either, but what impressed me the most was how the Raptor was able to actually *get* to the area where the tractor was stuck. I've been able to pull my tractor out with my diesel dually in the past, but the dually would have never made it.

Great truck. The exhaust sound isn't great, except when its pulling hard...but it sure is quick and fun to drive.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lots of name-calling on this forum. I'm assuming most of us are here because we're Raptor enthusiasts.

Anyway, last night I was reading the Raptor Supplement that comes with the owner's manual. Have any of you guys read it? It speaks specifically about how the Raptor is very good off-road, but what it "truly excels at is driving off-road at high speed." To me, that indicates the truck is designed to be fast. Nowhere in the F-150 manual (which also comes with a Raptor) does it mention driving fast as a positive, normal thing.

I just want to emphasize how much I like this truck. Yesterday, I got my 7500lb tractor stuck in soft mud along the edge of a reservoir. My other, smaller tractor was unable to pull it out. So I jumped in the Raptor and tried with that. It was not able to pull the tractor out either, but what impressed me the most was how the Raptor was able to actually *get* to the area where the tractor was stuck. I've been able to pull my tractor out with my diesel dually in the past, but the dually would have never made it.

Great truck. The exhaust sound isn't great, except when its pulling hard...but it sure is quick and fun to drive.

How did you end up getting the tractor out?

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score

I mean...you don't need high HP to drive off-road at high speeds, but I get your logic.

As for the regular F-150 they usually advertise stuff like "best in class HP/TQ" and stuff like that, but there's no need to put it in the owners manual because it's not important. The Raptor gets it because it needs a special manual. If they re-made a lightning or something of that sort you might get a manual that talks about doing Ricky Bobby things.

truckster

Reaction score
Damn...

Their test is as scientific as if you and your buddy went out and did runs at the strip or on a backroad. I'd say it's just fine. To please some of you they'd need to do this in an indoor temperature controlled, altitude variable drag strip with robots piloting both trucks so reaction time and driver error is taken out of the equation.

The F150 ran faster, it is what it is. Justify it all day long, and however you want. I'm sorry that upsets you guys.

As for suspension, different set ups do different things well. The stock leaf springs on Raptors are known to not be great on either generation. Deavers/Nationals/WSI springs are the known fix. It is what it is once again.

Are you like an XLT enthusiast or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

gen2 guys going over the reasons it was slower or should have been faster.
mOiNq8.jpg

SVT guys wishing they could be in the conversation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk