New Raptor as Winter Vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrueAthlete

Reaction score
Looking into getting a new 17+ raptor in the next month or two as my winter car. Currently daily a 17' challenger hellcat. Don't want to have to drive it though the snow and salt so I am looking into raptors. Good choice or bad choice? Dealers around me have them for around 65k$ not sure if I can get it under sticker or not haven't tried to do anything with price yet. I would like one with the 802A package in it also. Not sure if everyone thinks it's worth it or not. I would also assume my insurance will go down? Another reason I am looking to get a raptor so I can pay less on my hellcat insurance wise during the winter months since I won't be using it. I pay around 320$ a month for insurance, no tickets, no accidents 21 years old, in New Jersey just for my hellcat. Any help would be great.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking into getting a new 17+ raptor in the next month or two as my winter car. Currently daily a 17' challenger hellcat. Don't want to have to drive it though the snow and salt so I am looking into raptors. Good choice or bad choice? Dealers around me have them for around 65k$ not sure if I can get it under sticker or not haven't tried to do anything with price yet. I would like one with the 802A package in it also. Not sure if everyone thinks it's worth it or not. I would also assume my insurance will go down? Another reason I am looking to get a raptor so I can pay less on my hellcat insurance wise during the winter months since I won't be using it. I pay around 320$ a month for insurance, no tickets, no accidents 21 years old, in New Jersey just for my hellcat. Any help would be great.

4wd trucks aren't exactly cheap to insure either.. you might want to get a rate quote first. Your biggest downfall is your age. You are in the highest risk bracket till you turn 24 . Then all your rates will decrease as long as you keep that record clean.

MikeEby

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If the Hellcat is paid for and you don't drive it AT ALL on the street you should save some on insurance on it if you drop liability and collision coverage. If it's not paid for the company holding the loan will most likely require full coverage.

The Raptor seems like the perfect winter vehicle with great ground clearance, traction and the aluminium body that will resist rust much better than steel.

The Hellcat probably the worst winter vehicle built when it's equipped with it's standard summer tires. I think Chrysler recommends not driving the car in temperatures below 40 degrees F on standard tires. The tire compound get very hard at low temps and the car from my understanding is almost undriveable & dangerous in those conditions.

When I was 19 I bought a new Corvette, that was 41 years ago. Even then the insurance was $1500/year when I only paid $8500 for the new Corvette with a whopping 180HP.

Mike

Last edited:

psufan

Reaction score
I would assume that your insurance rate will go down greatly if you park the hellcat and drive a raptor over the winter. My raptor is about 30% less per year than the corvette stingray that I traded in for it. And I have to believe that the hellcat is higher than the stingray given the number of them driven off the lot and directly into trees.

Still is a lot of money to pay for a winter vehicle though (especially if motivated by reducing your insurance costs). You can find plenty of good beater vehicles that are good in the snow (esp with snow tires) that will be much cheaper than a new raptor and will cost way less to insure.

Last edited:

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i just like walking outside and smelling the air, not trying to go broke getting groceries over here lol.

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are in the highest risk bracket till you turn 24 . Then all your rates will decrease as long as you keep that record clean.

Well that explains why the updated policy on the new Raptor was so low compared to what I was used too haha

I always thought it was 26 years old..

MikeEby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that explains why the updated policy on the new Raptor was so low compared to what I was used too haha

I always thought it was 26 years old..

Rental companies use 25 years old for their rates scale, at least Enterprise does, I've always thought it was that age.

At one time if you were married you got a better rate even when you were younger. There were also good student discounts back in the day, unfortunately I was neither.

Mike

Last edited: