Failed Tune Install - Truck Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the process of switching from one tune to another when something went wrong with the install. I am getting an error message stating that I must install the stock tune, but when I try loading the tune on my nGuage that I believe is the stock tune, it won't install, nor will any other tune install. As it stands now, my truck won't start!!!! Any advice? I disconnecting the battery for ten minutes, but that did nothing. Please help!!!!

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would like to know what tunes you were installing. If the install was interrupted, which it sounds like it was, I would think you're probably looking at a tow to the dealer for a computer reflash, cost...??? Please update with results/fixes

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about the latest generation trucks , but 10 - 14's if your battery voltage dropped during the tune install , you would potentially brick the PCM . You may have a weak battery? Or power drain, doors open or lights on. People used to put a small charger on battery during the flash to ensure voltage didn't drop. I only Change tunes when i'm home in my driveway for this reason.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
HP should be able to send you a (recovery) stock tune.
As luck would have it...this sort of thing usually happens on weekends when you may not be able to get a hold of customer support. :mad:

1BAD454SS said:
Don't know about the latest generation trucks , but 10 - 14's if your battery voltage dropped during the tune install , you would potentially brick the PCM . You may have a weak battery? Or power drain, doors open or lights on. People used to put a small charger on battery during the flash to ensure voltage didn't drop. I only Change tunes when i'm home in my driveway for this reason.
I usually load tunes at home with my battery tender hooked up as well.
I did do it once at the track with my old truck and prayed to Jesus the whole time.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in the process of switching from one tune to another when something went wrong with the install. I am getting an error message stating that I must install the stock tune, but when I try loading the tune on my nGuage that I believe is the stock tune, it won't install, nor will any other tune install. As it stands now, my truck won't start!!!! Any advice? I disconnecting the battery for ten minutes, but that did nothing. Please help!!!!

Best advice I can give would be to call MPT. Also kick out an email to them. Hopefully there is s workaround for this problem.

cobra281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man sorry to hear, don't have any advice but after reading a thread like this, just scares the daylights out of me if in fact the pcm is bricked. Understand pay to play, but on a 70k truck that's a lot of payin' for playin'... Maybe conservative and go w/ jdm or scorcher. Even though it doesn't leave a footprint my understanding is in fact they can tell the perimeters were out of wack, but much harder to prove my guess would be. Anyway best of luck to you and hope you find a simple solution.

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe he took his truck out to the wilderness with a hot babe and decided to show her his "tune" and he wrote that post just as his battery went dead on his phone. Somewhere deep in Ohio, Jeff be wishin' he didn't do that.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would try a battery disconnect (the ground only) for a good 20 minutes and at the same time charge the battery.
Then after hooking the battery back up put the charger on trickle and keep the battery charging.
This is about the only thing you can try for now till MPT responds to you.

I'm I correct in assuming the IC fans run when the key is on?

Also make sure everything is off in the truck, and I mean everything!!!
Don't open doors, roll windows up or down.

Good luck

Last edited: