To install wheels and tires immediately or wait till broke in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CCole77

Reaction score
The title says it all... I am going to be upgrading wheels and tires to my Raptor on order, but should I wait till the truck is a little broke in and has done it's "learning" or should I go ahead and install them as soon as I get the truck. Does it matter?

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id recommend changing them immediately. I waited about 3k miles to change mine, and with the noticebly heavier wheels & tires, it was almost as if my transmission felt like it was shifting too soon, so I had to do a re-learn on the transmission for the new wheels and tires- which takes roughly 500-1000 miles to get ironed out. Had I known this, I would have swapped them out immediately upon initial purchase. Not a show stopper, but given the option, I'd say just do it up front and do the trans learning procedure just 1 time.

jdubub

#AllRaptorsMatter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got mine at Planet Ford in Spring, just north of Houston. I bought a couple of trucks from them in the past.

I did it. You just need the tool, then follow the spreadsheets on here. It looks harder on the surface than what it really is, so don't be scared of it. I used a buddies tool that lives in Houston.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had mine from my 12 moved to the 18 at the dealer at the time of purchase.

Oddly enough, the 12 and 18 have different threads on the lug nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free