F-150 Lightning IS Available Now!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2017-Ford-F-150-Lightning-by-Pioneer-Ford.jpg

Ford Dealership Builds F-150 Lightning That FoMoCo Won’t

eave it to a dealership in NASCAR country to revive the F-150 Lightning nameplate before the Blue Oval. It’s been more than a decade since Ford produced the F-150 Lightning, a truck powered by a Mustang-sourced V-8 and equipped with side-exit exhaust. Yet, there are enthusiasts that still yearn for a go-fast truck that isn’t labeled Raptor. Enter, Pioneer Ford in Bremen, Georgia.

Using the same formula as the original F-150 Lightning, Pioneer Ford begins with a regular cab, short bed F-150. The dealership then removes the stock engine and replaces it with a Coyote V-8 supplemented by a Roush supercharger, which generates over 650 horsepower in the nouveau-Lightning.

The supercharged Coyote is mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission, likely from the Mustang its heart was obtained from, and only powers the rear wheels—again like the original Lightning and perfect for the massive smoky burnouts and general hooliganism that the original was known for.

Pioneer Ford additionally gave the next-generation Lightning a set of custom 22-inch wheels inspired by the previous generation, side exit exhaust, original Lightning badges including an original SVT badge on the rear tailgate, and a new suspension setup that allows the F-150 Lightning sit properly low and menacing.

Unfortunately, you won’t find any of the F-150 Lightning’s original styling as the Lightning package only includes the performance parts and new rims; and yes, we did say package.

“We built a red one first and it didn’t make it a week and never reached the web. This is our second one, and we add a little more each time!” said Pioneer Ford via Facebook.

“Next will be a 2018 and we will up the game with the proper gray micro suede and leather interior!”

For those feeling nostalgic, or for those customers wishing to blow Camaros and Mustangs out of the water at the lights, this particular new F-150 Lightning starts at a fairly reasonable $49,661, or just a few ticks lower than the less powerful and brand new GT350 Mustang.

And with that, you get a factory backed warranty as all the parts are from Ford Performance and Roush; 3 year/36,000 mile warranty on the supercharger alone to be exact.

You can head over to Pioneer Ford’s website or into the dealership and spec your perfect new-Lightning out yourself. And Raptor, you’re on notice.

Lots more pics here:
Ford Dealership Builds F-150 Lightning That FoMoCo Won’t | Automobile Magazine

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the F-150 Lightning, a truck powered by a Mustang-sourced V-8 and equipped with side-exit exhaust

*********. The Lightning never had a "Mustang-sourced V8".

Gen 1 had a 351W which was never offered in a Mustang those same years. The Gen 2, which had the side exhaust they mention, had a 5.4L 2V engine, which was never offered in any Mustang- ever.

Love my 03 Cobra as well. Will have it until I die.

Edit: Those wheels are hideous- way too damn big.

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Word on the street is Whipple is making a ton of power on the new dual injected 5.0, which also has the 10 speed transmission. That would make one nasty little street truck.

OP
OP
W

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
*********. The Lightning never had a "Mustang-sourced V8".

Gen 1 had a 351W which was never offered in a Mustang those same years. The Gen 2, which had the side exhaust they mention, had a 5.4L 2V engine, which was never offered in any Mustang- ever.

Love my 03 Cobra as well. Will have it until I die.

Edit: Those wheels are hideous- way too damn big.

So if I understand what you're saying, you like it? :biggrin:

"*********" really?! They're making a custom vehicle - they're a dealership showing creativity and they're selling the trucks so people obviously want them especially since it's not available anywhere else. *********?! :flipthebird:

On the internet I can guarantee you that no matter how good a product is there will be people who won't hesitate to tell you how much they hate it.

A few examples:
* Mustangs - every generation
* Corvettes - every generation
* Raptors - Gen2

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
It seems a bit much for a baseline F150 XL with the XL sport appearance package and a supercharger since they are asking ~$50k for it.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So if I understand what you're saying, you like it? :biggrin:

"*********" really?! They're making a custom vehicle - they're a dealership showing creativity and they're selling the trucks so people obviously want them especially since it's not available anywhere else. *********?! :flipthebird:

On the internet I can guarantee you that no matter how good a product is there will be people who won't hesitate to tell you how much they hate it.

A few examples:
* Mustangs - every generation
* Corvettes - every generation
* Raptors - Gen2

Im saying the people who wrote the article and stated the L engine came from a Mustang are *********, *******.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kudos to them for doing what Ford isn't any longer. Not sure it works well with this body style, just doesn't look sleek or fast, but I guess the Gen1 Lightning didn't either!

marilynsride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at least this truck is appropriate for a 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and videos thread