WARNING To Anyone Thinking About Getting A Whipple CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jakeO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like how Wimpy. I mean Whipple says "Our website states *Custom tuning may be required" Then in the same breath says the CAI must be tuned.
So is it MAY or Does?
it also states "Bolt-on performance, no modifications required."

Also if you put a * by a statement it is usually fallowed up with a explanation.

Just saying

Last edited:

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This thread is more like wahhhh I bought a cai without knowing anything on how they affect turbo engines ....

Actually it's more like, "wahhhh I bought a CAI without knowing anything on how they affect turbo engines and the distributor I bought it from didn't tell me ahead of time nor is it clear what's required on the manufacturer's website."

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Actually it's more like, "wahhhh I bought a CAI without knowing anything on how they affect turbo engines and the distributor I bought it from didn't tell me ahead of time nor is it clear what's required on the manufacturer's website."

Exactly. How long does it take to add a line to the install instructions like ‘Warning: installation of this intake on a stock truck will cause the check engine light for a variety of possible faults. A custom tune is required for this kit !’

I’d guess 48 seconds plus the time it takes to save the pdf.

48 seconds to avoid a pissed off customer and 2 supporting vendors pointing fingers at each other leaving the customer holding the bag.

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Exactly. How long does it take to add a line to the install instructions like ‘Warning: installation of this intake on a stock truck will cause the check engine light for a variety of possible faults. A custom tune is required for this kit !’

I’d guess 48 seconds plus the time it takes to save the pdf.

48 seconds to avoid a pissed off customer and 2 supporting vendors pointing fingers at each other leaving the customer holding the bag.

It's on the website, nobody is pointing fingers. All returns have to go through the company you purchased from, that is pretty much a standard everywhere in every industry. If I buy something at Costco, I don't return it to ***** Sporting goods....

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It's on the website, nobody is pointing fingers. All returns have to go through the company you purchased from, that is pretty much a standard everywhere in every industry. If I buy something at Costco, I don't return it to ***** Sporting goods....

What reason would the --ADD customer-- have to go to your website? not a trick question here, what I mean is, presumably the kit comes with install instructions, right?

So, presumably, you craft the install instructions with a certain level of “assumed skill”. If the installer has met that level of assumed skill, and everything installs successfully, why would they need to go to your website?

Think about it this way. If your internet goes down, and you’re trying to reach your ISP by phone, and after you explain to the ISP customer service tech that your internet is down, the CST referring you to the ISP website knowledgebase is probably poor form or bad customer service. Wouldn’t you agree?

This is an avoidable problem requiring only minimal outlay to correct.

My return comments owe to the OP’s assertion that they understood that once the kit was installed, it would not be accepted as a return. Maybe I misunderstood?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Mr Whipple can make this right
By contacting management at ADD and telling them to issue an RMA along with an apology with the expectation that Mr Whipple will then send ADD a new intake to replace the returned one, at no cost... and ADD can return the used one to Mr. Whipple for R&D and scrap.

It's more like... you buy a shark vacuum from Walmart and you find out it wasn't clearly labeled that the vacuum requires European voltage and it's for traveling abroad. So you're not able to use the vacuum and when you return it to walmart they say no.... so instead you contact Shark who exchanges it for something of equal value that satisfies the customer or returns it for a refund.

It's not like buying it from Walmart and trying to return it at Target. You made a failed argument Mr Whipple with a bad analogy.

What reason would the --ADD customer-- have to go to your website? not a trick question here, what I mean is, presumably the kit comes with install instructions, right?

So, presumably, you craft the install instructions with a certain level of “assumed skill”. If the installer has met that level of assumed skill, and everything installs successfully, why would they need to go to your website?

Think about it this way. If your internet goes down, and you’re trying to reach your ISP by phone, and after you explain to the ISP customer service tech that your internet is down, the CST referring you to the ISP website knowledgebase is probably poor form or bad customer service. Wouldn’t you agree?

This is an avoidable problem requiring only minimal outlay to correct.

My return comments owe to the OP’s assertion that they understood that once the kit was installed, it would not be accepted as a return. Maybe I misunderstood?