GEN 2 Front lockers available yet? Already got stuck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gryGhst17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do i make sure i do?

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

I have the 802A package. Shouldn't that be included?

Yes, so I guess it comes down to the mode the truck was in while you were driving. <shrug>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingshredd

Reaction score
If the Torsen works like other limited slips, sometimes a little break pressure will get it to engage. I have Detroit TrueTracs in my 91 Toyota this is what works for them if a tire is in the air. Not sure if the different modes would effect this though.

gryGhst17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the Torsen works like other limited slips, sometimes a little break pressure will get it to engage. I have Detroit TrueTracs in my 91 Toyota this is what works for them if a tire is in the air. Not sure if the different modes would effect this though.

The torsen should work whenever it senses slippage, so it ought to work as long as it's in 4wd on the front. So I think your right?

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done much sand stuff, but is 4 LO a normal 'sand' setting?

To me 4 Lo is crawl mode, rocks, steep 'firmer' inclines, ice with chains, ice w/o chains depending on the ice and certain snow situations. Or to help you go slower when going down a steep incline.

Sand and mud I would think one would use 4 Hi and rear lockers.

Is there a way you could easily test your front torsen locker? Just wondering if something is maybe messed up/not working properly.

I know many don't like the nannies, but if they can apply slight braking pressure to the spinning wheel, may help you get out.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Did you even read the Ford factory info in the link I provided above?

Rock Crawl
This setting is for intense off-road driving and rock climbing at low speeds. Rock crawl prompts the driver to place the vehicle in 4 Low, the electronic locking differential is automatically engaged and AdvanceTrac is set to the least intrusive settings for optimum rock-climbing ability. Throttle modulation and transmission response are optimized for greater control. Additionally, the front camera allows the driver to see what’s right in front of the truck, and it can be kept on at speeds up to 15 mph.

And if you read about running in Sand you'd know that under 15MPH in Sand is a recipe for getting stuck.

If you own a Raptor please RTFM and get some practice off road using the truck's Terrain Modes.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, quick to pull the trigger. I read what you put and also RTFM.

Also read the manual on my 12' F150 that said no chains/chains not recommended with the tire and wheel setup I had. Guess what, chains fit fine if tight and traveling at a lower speed, which on ice w/chains one typically does.

Point being TFM doesn't cover every instance along with me stating I haven't ran in sand...did you read MFP? ;o)

Maybe you missed the OP said they were running in sand in 4 LO, or were easier on them!!!!!
(I got stuck today in an attempt to clear a large sand barricade diagonally when the truck was almost balancing on its belly with rear tires digging freely in the sand and one front tire almost in the air and the second with good traction but no power sent to it. I was in rock crowing mode so 4x4 Lo with rear diff lock.

Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score

To me 4 Lo is crawl mode, rocks, steep 'firmer' inclines, ice with chains, ice w/o chains depending on the ice and certain snow situations. Or to help you go slower when going down a steep incline.

Sand and mud I would think one would use 4 Hi and rear lockers.

Is there a way you could easily test your front torsen locker? Just wondering if something is maybe messed up/not working properly.

I know many don't like the nannies, but if they can apply slight braking pressure to the spinning wheel, may help you get out.

I think the truck applies limited-slip braking to the spinning wheels in a traditional tracktion control way, but that might be disabled in the offroad modes.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the truck applies limited-slip braking to the spinning wheels in a traditional tracktion control way, but that might be disabled in the offroad modes.

Traction control is NOT disabled in off road modes. It differs a little in how much tire slippage it will allow, but it's definitely active. If you want it off, you have to turn it off.