GEN 2 Can LED bulbs be upgraded?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ-Raptor

Reaction score
I have the LED head lights but I feel that they are not the brightest. I was not able to find threads discussing this issue or if it is even possible or the whole assembly is in one piece (looks like it).

Major hacking would be needed to for such an upgrade I believe. Already have 36" LED bar for off roading.

Cheers.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Saddly not really. I get this a lot, as we have our own brand of LED Conversion Kits and I get a LOT of Ford OEM LED customers who want to swap them.

The ford housings are slightly different in design (same footprint) as they have an LED bulb inside... but it's a sealed LED bulb. So you can't just put an aftermarket kit in, as it's a proprietary format/bulb style.

DOWNGRADING to a halogen housing is possible but will require some custom wiring on your part, as the wiring your truck has now is setup for the LED system from Ford, NOT standard halogen lights.

It will require some "hacking" while maybe not MAJOR but figuring out the wiring circuits.

I'd recommend sticking with what you have. You have a really good LED system, designed for use on the road. OEM manufacturers have to stick within certain parameters when they build their vehicles, and lighting is one of those things they can't screw with too much. Aftermarket kits are, for the most part, usually illegal for everyday road use because they put out so much light. So that's why your factory OEM LED seem kinda crappy compared to aftermarket kits.

What i'd recommend from you on your Gen2, if you have not already, put in a Baja Designs or FordRaptorLights fog light kit. We sell both and can get you really great pricing on a kit. The kits will give you a lot of great useable light that will make you feel a bit better driving. It'll fill in that "gap" your headlights give you.

I can talk to you about a few different options.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the LED head lights but I feel that they are not the brightest. I was not able to find threads discussing this issue or if it is even possible or the whole assembly is in one piece (looks like it).

Major hacking would be needed to for such an upgrade I believe. Already have 36" LED bar for off roading.

Cheers.

Where did you install a 36" light bar? Pics?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What i'd recommend from you on your Gen2, if you have not already, put in a Baja Designs or FordRaptorLights fog light kit. We sell both and can get you really great pricing on a kit. The kits will give you a lot of great useable light that will make you feel a bit better driving. It'll fill in that "gap" your headlights give you.

OP- These kits are not DOT approved, so keep that in mind. Might get a nice fat ticket from a cop who is sick of aftermarket LED lights bolted to trucks.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No aftermarket lights that anybody talks about on here, except the Rigid SAE, are DOT approved. And that still might not even be ROAD LEGAL just passed safety inspections thus the SAE rating. But the OP said he/she is already running a 36" LED bar which we know is not road legal so I don't think that's his/her concern.

As long as you don't run all your lights on, you should not have issues. If you run your lights all on, yeah you'll have issues.

I only ever recommend folks who do the 3x pairs of fog lights only run 1 pair normally, the other 2 pairs are designed for when you are off-road and need that extra light, while the smaller pair (S2s or KC HiLITES) are for everyday driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free