WARNING To Anyone Thinking About Getting A Whipple CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFE will as well, we tested multiple versions of intakes and all set codes in certain driving cycles. You can insert an aluminum tube into the factory plastic hole on the crank case sensor, this slows the airspeed down, numbing the sensor so to speak, but will still eventually set. Disconnecting the battery just resets all the adaptives but won't change this.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Tested it and it does, again, it comes down to the drive cycle and when the PCM performs the test. If it flows more air than stock, it will eventually set a code.

Oh interesting to know! The AFE did have a vent tube insert for the driver’s side turbo inlet. That must be what this is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hear you, I just think maybe something will work out for you. You may need some more patience which I can see you're already out of. Hang in there.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really don't have a reason to lie.

DRTPOSR,

My apologies! When I saw your response I re-read my post and realized that it wasn't what I meant. I meant to say that there's no evidence of what you've said not being true. I've since corrected/edited my post (above) and here it is again. Sorry about that...

I'm interested to learn more about Whipple and ADD's responses to your claims for their customer service and support.

If what you're saying is true (and there's no evidence of it not being true) then one or both companies should be responsible for making good on your purchase.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Great to see some actual data.

@ADD & @Whipple Charged

You can make this right, or lose business. Until you make it right, I won’t even navigate to your websites.

You can dismiss if you want, but I go out of my way to patronize supporting vendors, and I’ll wager there’s a lot with that position. While I can understand how something like this might happen, the response is total shit customer service.

Own it. Admit your mistakes. Correct them.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFE will as well, we tested multiple versions of intakes and all set codes in certain driving cycles. You can insert an aluminum tube into the factory plastic hole on the crank case sensor, this slows the airspeed down, numbing the sensor so to speak, but will still eventually set. Disconnecting the battery just resets all the adaptives but won't change this.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Tested it and it does, again, it comes down to the drive cycle and when the PCM performs the test. If it flows more air than stock, it will eventually set a code.

Been looking at the mega cooler to replace the stock ic.

Does the same issue exist when adding the mega cooler without a tune?

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I really don't have a reason to lie. But, there is a recap below:

------------------

Hi Cole-

Got it and installed it last night.

This morning on the way to work I got a check engine light and a wrench light? Have you heard about anyone else having this problem?

Thx,

Dave

------------------

I have not, we have the air intake on our shop truck & havent had any issues. Have someone see what codes are popping up & we can go from there.

-----------------

Hi Cole-

I got the following response from Whipple:

"The truck will need to be tuned. It should run fine with no issues (except the wrench light). The PCM thinks it is an air leak. You can have it tuned local or you can send the PCM in to us ane we can do the cal for $720 plus freight."

I had no idea that a tune was required. I do not want to tune my truck. I had a lightning that was tuned and it was a constant headache for me.

I will be putting the stock parts back on. If you know anyone that wants a slightly used CAI please let me know.

------------------

Hi Cole-

Can you please check with Whipple to see if I can return this?

The more that I think about it, I don't think that it is fair that I get stuck with it because of their lack of communication. I definitely wouldn't have bought it if I had known that it only works on "tuned" trucks.

Also, I had to take my truck to the shop because of all of the codes this thing caused. I had to leave it there on Friday and they won't even be able to look at it until Tuesday at the earliest.

This really has become a major issue for me.

---------------------

They said they will not take it back since its already installed. I spoke with Mike over there. He said he is going to see if their is something they can do.

---------------------

Hi Cole-

Any luck with Mike?

---------------------

Mike hasnt been responding to me.

---------------------

I will check with the team but we always respond within a day. Our info states a tune may be needed, we can't control what dealers do, I wish we could but that's just not possible. Dealers order by PO's, we don't always deal one on one. Many don't know as this is new logic from Ford. Many also don't know you can't actually turn the codes off on these vehicles.

We would be happy to help with the calibration and making the most of the intake, certainly would fix the CEL and give you a noticeable power boost.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Been looking at the mega cooler to replace the stock ic.

Does the same issue exist when adding the mega cooler without a tune?

No, the intercoolers can swap with no codes or cal changes.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Great to see some actual data.

@ADD & @Whipple Charged

You can make this right, or lose business. Until you make it right, I won’t even navigate to your websites.

You can dismiss if you want, but I go out of my way to patronize supporting vendors, and I’ll wager there’s a lot with that position. While I can understand how something like this might happen, the response is total shit customer service.

Own it. Admit your mistakes. Correct them.

We have no problem handling the situation and don't need to be cohersed or pushed to do so. We do state on our website where our product info is as we have stated and are more than willing to work with the customer or ADD, our dealer.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We have no problem handling the situation and don't need to be cohersed or pushed to do so. We do state on our website where our product info is as we have stated and are more than willing to work with the customer or ADD, our dealer.

Good to see you get out in front of this quickly. Is this Dustin?

Let's see what happens next so the OP is made whole.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree

Both are big enough businesses that they can eat one intake.

QUOTE=smurfslayer;1197503]Great to see some actual data.

@ADD & @Whipple Charged

Own it. Admit your mistakes. Correct them.[/QUOTE]

Bevan11

Reaction score
Rousch Intake

I have a rousch intake and it threw a code from the get go but i forgot to plug in sensor before turning truck back on. I took it to the dealer and they turned it off while I was sitting in the truck. It eventually came back on and i turned it off with forscan. It kept coming back on so I did some research. It appears that it only throws codes when I use the remote starter. Sense not using the remote starter in 3 weeks no codes have been thrown!