WARNING To Anyone Thinking About Getting A Whipple CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRTPOSR

Reaction score
Just a heads up for anyone interested in purchasing a Whipple Cold Air Intake. IT WILL NOT WORK ON A TRUCK THAT HAS NOT BEEN TUNED!!!

After I received the CAI, I installed it on my truck. Install took about 20 minutes. After installing it and making sure that everything was installed correctly, I started up my truck and drove it down the street. I immediately got the check engine light and the wrench light. I then had a significant loss of power. I immediately took the truck home and parked it until I could figure out what went wrong.

I have a code reader at home and got the P04DB error - "Crankcase Ventilation System Disconnected." I reset the code, started it back up and got the message once again. I then started getting notifications from the Ford app on my phone - Malfunction Indicator Lamp - Regulatory - "The Engine has detected a misfire fault."

At this point I e-mailed Whipple and received the following response, "The truck will need to be tuned. It should run fine with no issues (except the wrench light). The PCM thinks it is an air leak. You can have it tuned local or you can send the PCM in to us and we can do the cal for $720 plus freight." This is not an option for me. I had a tuned Ford Lightning with 700 rwhp, and I have no interest in going down that road again out here in KAlifornia.

Meanwhile, I had to take my truck into the dealer and they have diagnosed (2) blown waste gate actuator motors.... Two weeks later I am still waiting for the parts to arrive.

I purchased the Whipple CAI from ADD, and it was drop shipped directly from Whipple. Nowhere did it say that a tune was required, and Whipple is refusing to let me return the CAI for a refund. Keep that in mind in case you purchase something from them.

Dave

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
Right - thought this was posted here before. Going anything aftermarket seems to have a very high likelihood of throwing a CEL. Best to just stay stock. You need your warranty too.

OP
OP
D

DRTPOSR

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with it requiring a tune if it had mentioned that on the website when I purchased it. In fact, my contact at ADD said, "Wow they never told us that, I'm sorry. Our shop truck is tuned but was not aware they had to be...."

In the end, I think that it is pretty bad that Whipple won't allow me to return the unit when it is clearly their mistake.

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with it requiring a tune if it had mentioned that on the website when I purchased it. In fact, my contact at ADD said, "Wow they never told us that, I'm sorry. Our shop truck is tuned but was not aware they had to be...."

In the end, I think that it is pretty bad that Whipple won't allow me to return the unit when it is clearly their mistake.

Definitely go MPT. All other tunes are a joke

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having two blown waste gate actuator motor sounds a little strange.

And, aftermarket CAI is a major mod as far as Tune calibration values are concerned.
A radical exhaust mod most likely may require a Tune also.
A filter swap and just a muffler is minor, wouldn't need a Tune for that.
If you don't want to Tune, then stay away from engine performance mods.

Just out of curiosity, did you disconnect the battery to force a new learning cycle before starting and driving?
Without doing that the PCM would read values far outside what it had learned earlier from the previous drive.

But I will say Whipple should update and add a Tune is highly recommended. I'll give you that.
I guess Whipple didn't count on people just buying their CAI.
I pretty sure you can sell it here, put it up for sale on the sell forum thread, only thing is you need 50 posts before you can make a thread in there.

Last edited:

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm interested to learn more about Whipple and ADD's responses to your claims for their customer service and support.

If what you're saying is true (and there's no evidence of it not being true) then one or both companies should be responsible for making good on your purchase.

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My AFE CAI threw a wrench too.

MPT tuned it out.

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear, but all aftermarket CAI systems will set the same code, it's not isolated to one version. This is due to new calibration logic for more accurately detecting air leaks. Our website states *Custom tuning may be required, so we do notify the customer. Any return has to go through the purchasing dealer, not direct to us as we didn't take your order.

Our Stage 1 system is 50-state legal so there are no real drawbacks to doing the full upgrade. Our cal is a Ford recognized cal that the dealer can't flash over and will diagnose like normal.

Your actuator issue has nothing to do with the CAI. It sets the code, but there isn't a leak so fueling, spark, etc are all maintained just like stock.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Definitely go MPT. All other tunes are a joke

Sorry, but this is not actually accurate. Have you tested our 50-state legal calibration? Have you been part of any durability testing where they actually maintain heavy load, up a grade, in high temps, on questionable 91 octane fuel? Sorry but no other aftermarket company can test the safety area's. MPT does a great job, make great power but its not actually legal in any state, nor would it ever pass a true durability test.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird my AFE CAI w/ Borla S-Type has been has been fine so far knock on wood. I did disconnect the battery before installing the CAI per instructions not sure if/how that would make a difference. (No tune)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: