Rhino Shine Ultra on running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GVW299

Reaction score
First post ;)

My 11 Screw running boards are starting to look a little gray even after a few really good cleans with Simple Green and a scrubbing brush.

I bought some Rhino Shine Ultra Black to refurbish the running boards.

Have not really seen it mentioned on a search. Is there anyone with any experience using this?

It is applied with a paint brush.

Unbolt running boards and do all parts or mask up the underside of the doors and apply with them on the vehicle?

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
First post ;)

My 11 Screw running boards are starting to look a little gray even after a few really good cleans with Simple Green and a scrubbing brush.

I bought some Rhino Shine Ultra Black to refurbish the running boards.

Have not really seen it mentioned on a search. Is there anyone with any experience using this?

It is applied with a paint brush.

Unbolt running boards and do all parts or mask up the underside of the doors and apply with them on the vehicle?

Welcome to FRF!

I have not heard of anyone using that particular product on the faded running boards, but I can offer another suggestion.

First suggestion would be to only use Simple Green or any other similar type of cleaner on the running boards when absolutely needed. Since these types of higher pH cleaners can actually speed the rate of fading, they should only be used when a milder cleaner, in conjunction with scrubbing and rinsing, does not get them clean.

Once you get them cleaned, try our VRT Dressing to help bring back some of the color. You may need a few different applications, as part of your normal washing routine, to get some darker color back into the running board material.

The VRT can make them a little slick, so do not over-apply, since only so much product can actually soak in before it air dries, and any product left sitting on top of the surface can be very slippery, especially when it gets wet. About 20 minutes after applying, you can go back over it with a dry towel to remove any excess, and then let it dry, preferably overnight.

Take some before pics, then compare those to how the boards look after a few weeks of using the VRT.

While these are not Raptor running boards, these pics are an example of what this product can do on faded plastics:

20150913_114911.jpg
20150917_181335.jpg

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF!

I have not heard of anyone using that particular product on the faded running boards, but I can offer another suggestion.

First suggestion would be to only use Simple Green or any other similar type of cleaner on the running boards when absolutely needed. Since these types of higher pH cleaners can actually speed the rate of fading, they should only be used when a milder cleaner, in conjunction with scrubbing and rinsing, does not get them clean.

Once you get them cleaned, try our VRT Dressing to help bring back some of the color. You may need a few different applications, as part of your normal washing routine, to get some darker color back into the running board material.

The VRT can make them a little slick, so do not over-apply, since only so much product can actually soak in before it air dries, and any product left sitting on top of the surface can be very slippery, especially when it gets wet. About 20 minutes after applying, you can go back over it with a dry towel to remove any excess, and then let it dry, preferably overnight.

Take some before pics, then compare those to how the boards look after a few weeks of using the VRT.

While these are not Raptor running boards, these pics are an example of what this product can do on faded plastics:

View attachment 88643
View attachment 88644

VRT is no joke. This stuff is amazing. It can revive almost any black trim. Here are some shots of what it did on the flare and door handles on my old Silverado. This plastic trim had 15 years of oxidation and fading and VRT made it look brand new. After I applied it, I wiped of any excess and it dries to the touch with no oily residue. It works great for tires too.

Attachments

• 20161110_190757.jpg
    20161110_190757.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20161110_190847.jpg
    20161110_190847.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20161110_190843.jpg
    20161110_190843.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20161106_163851.jpg
    20161106_163851.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 96

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took a pressure washer to mine last weekend after I was done pressure washing my mower deck. Turned out real nice.

OP
OP
G

GVW299

Reaction score
Because no one has seemed to have done it yet, will take my steps off next weekend and Rhino Shine as a test. This is a more permanent solution then maybe the VRT to maintain.

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience getting wax or sealant out of the running boards?

I gave my Gen 2 its first steak (clay, polish and sealant) and dripped some sealant on the running boards (full details in a closed, non-temperature controlled garage in Texas, in June is not a fun job).

I read on another forum that peanuts or vegetable oil were good at removing wax residue from trim so I tried applied vegetable oil with a toothbrush. This actually turned out really nice, left a deep black finish and I ended up dressing both running boards in full with it. I washed my truck again over this past weekend and my pressure washer seems to have taken off all the vegetable oil but the sealant marks are still there. Much more faded than before but still there.

I have a garage full of Adam's products but do not own VRT (currently use 303 and Opti-Bond tire gel for my trim). I have no problem adding VRT to my next Adam's order but I believe VRT will only cover the stains, not remove them, and I'm looking for a product that has been verified to remove wax/sealant from these specific running boards.

Last edited:

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience getting wax or sealant out of the running boards?

I gave my Gen 2 its first steak (clay, polish and sealant) and dripped some sealant on the running boards (full details in a closed, non-temperature controlled garage in Texas, in June is not a fun job).

I read on another forum that peanuts or vegetable oil were good at removing wax residue from trim so I tried applied vegetable oil with a toothbrush. This actually turned out really nice, left a deep black finish and I ended up dressing both running boards in full with it. I washed my truck again over this past weekend and my pressure washer seems to have taken off all the vegetable oil but the sealant marks are still there. Much more faded than before but still there.

I have a garage full of Adam's products but do not own VRT (currently use 303 and Opti-Bond tire gel for my trim). I have no problem adding VRT to my next Adam's order but I believe VRT will only cover the stains, not remove them, and I'm looking for a product that has been verified to remove wax/sealant from these specific running boards.

Bummer with the stains! As you found out, those internet tales of vegetable or peanut oil removing stains are not true, since the oils really just mask the residue.

You are also correct in your assumption that VRT will also mask the problem, since it is not a cleaner, but a conditioner.

To remove the residue, use Tire & Rubber Cleaner at your next wash. Spray the area well, then scrub like the dickens with a small, stiff brush, and rinse really good Simply wiping with a cloth or wash pad will not work, since the residue is down in the texture of the running board.

Depending on the type of sealant (ie how durable it is), and also on the pre-stain condition of the running board (ie whether it was conditioned well, or if it was dried out from sitting since the truck was built), it might take a few scrubbings during subsequent washes to work the stains out.

This is were the VRT can help. After the scrubbing/washing, apply VRT to the running boards and let it soak it. Adding this conditioner will help work the stain out of the running board finish.

Also, we recommend always treating the plastic and rubber trim, and in the case of Raptors, the running boards, with a good coat of VRT right before waxing or sealing, since it soaks in and moisturizes these surfaces, so that if the wax or sealant accidently gets on them, it is easy to wipe off, since it does not soak in at all.

Just a quick word of caution, the VRT will make the running boards a little slippery for the first few days, especially if they get wet, so be careful. It is usually good after a few days of drying.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

3Ktt

Reaction score
I would make another new suggestion. I have a 2017 and have used Adams In and Out spray to dress them after cleaning them. They are more slick, but the spray does a great job of coating them evenly. They are now nice and black.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would make another new suggestion. I have a 2017 and have used Adams In and Out spray to dress them after cleaning them. They are more slick, but the spray does a great job of coating them evenly. They are now nice and black.

I&O FTW!

Thanks for the recommendation!