Fuel grade required for the 2nd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As to why Ford "recommends" a premium fuel, do you know anything about marketing?

I agree that it's part of their marketing program to say you can run 87, since lots of people are too cheap to buy premium, even after spending $70k on a truck. But the reality is that's not the right fuel for the truck.

Per Ford:

"Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 or regular unleaded gasoline blended with a maximum of 85% ethanol (E85). Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. We do not recommend
these fuels.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.

Ford does not say the truck was designed to run on 87 and specifically states performance will be higher with higher grade fuel.

There is simply no debate on this.

Source:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...s-Manual-version-2_om_EN-US-EN-CA_12_2016.pdf

See page 177.

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just run 87 and shut up already. High performance engines require higher octane. If you want to run 87/midgrade over premium fine. No one cares. Y'all like a bunch of kids arguing over who's right. No one is wrong, owners manual states both so use both. I personally will run premium because that's what the recommends but y'all do you.

trafficman337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that someone was going to say you can run the truck on water if this kept up. Woweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Understood, I have a gas station with the stuff right by my house and the price is pretty similar to premium.

My gut would tell me that the ethanol free 90 is very good fuel, though. If I had it available I would probably run it, especially in the cooler months of the year.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I applaud you for actually looking up the info in the manual.

Ford does not say the truck was designed to run on 87 and specifically states performance will be higher with higher grade fuel.

Incorrect. First line clearly says it is designed to run on a minimum octane of 87. There is a BIG difference between "required" and "recommended" most of which is attributable to marketing (fanbois are eager to spend money on premium fuel because it sounds better than regular fuel, a truck that runs premium is better right? BMW has been doing this for years), and fine print to give Ford wiggle room in potential law suit defense down the line.

The manual also recommends a bunch of other stuff such as type of oil and air filter and disallows any mods, do you follow all of it like its the bible? Just curious.

There is simply no debate on this.

There is definitely a debate on this. Instructors at Raptor Assault aren't running 93, you think they know a bit more about these trucks than Internet warriors on FRF? I think so. Look, I am not starting threads asking everyone to run 87. I choose to run 87 in my $71k truck because that feels better to me.

Last edited:

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I applaud you for actually looking up the info in the manual.

Incorrect. First line clearly says it is designed to run on a minimum octane of 87. There is a BIG difference between "required" and "recommended" most of which is attributable to marketing (fanbois are eager to spend money on premium fuel because it sounds better than regular fuel, a truck that runs premium is better right? BMW has been doing this for years), and fine print to give Ford wiggle room in potential law suit defense down the line.

The manual also recommends a bunch of other stuff such as type of oil and air filter and disallows any mods, do you follow all of it like its the bible? Just curious.

There is definitely a debate on this. Instructors at Raptor Assault aren't running 93, you think they know a bit more about these trucks than Internet warriors on FRF? I think so. Look, I am not starting threads asking everyone to run 87. I choose to run 87 in my $71k truck because that feels better to me.

science is hard.
:specialed:

bro you really think you are going to come flip the script on the entire ******* planet saying higher octane is snake oil? seriously..... jesus you are one of the dumbest ones ive seen so far.

go to a dyno day, specifically you would need to go to two dyno days. one on 87 with tune and one on the highest octance with tune. there are real world numbers literally everywhere. the science is settled on the matter. you are going to see 100 octane within the next 10 years, with 87 and lower being forgotten.

whats really going to bake some noodles is when oils are recommended to run 0-5 lol.