Fuel grade required for the 2nd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bunch of theory being thrown out in this thread, just like any fuel thread. Can someone post official documentation - OFFICIAL - that says car makes advertised HP/TQ only with premium fuel?

There are enough home made engineers going around, I just want one of them to share official word from Ford.

Dyno charts listed on this page. But I doubt any level of proof will change your mind.

And of course you are 100% right, Ford reccomends 91 for no reason at all other than waste their customer's money.

Last edited:

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dyno charts listed on this page. But I doubt any level of proof will change your mind.

I said OFFICIAL documentation from Ford, not an aftermarket tuning company. I could care less about 5Star or any other tuner, nothing against them though.

As to why Ford "recommends" a premium fuel, do you know anything about marketing?

Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I said OFFICIAL documentation from Ford, not an aftermarket tuning company. I could care less about 5Star or any other tuner, nothing against them though.

As to why Ford "recommends" a premium fuel, do you know anything about marketing?

I understand why an oil company promotes premium priced fuels, but could you please explain to me what Ford gains by reccomending a premium fuel grade that does nothing for their customer. And if there really is a conspiracy by Ford, why don't they recommend 91 on all of their cars? Oh wise one, please enlighten me.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand why an oil company promotes premium priced fuels, but could you please explain to me what Ford gains by reccomending a premium fuel grade that does nothing for their customer. And if there really is a conspiracy by Ford, why don't they recommend 91 on all of their cars? Oh wise one, please enlighten me.

I shall continue this highly intellectual discussion with you right after you show me official word from Ford that says the truck makes more power on higher grade fuel.

Till then, all you guys are doing is making up shit. End of story.

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The instructors at Raptor assault all said they would use non-ethanol 88 octane if you can find it.

This a million times.. I'll be using ethanol free over higher octane.. The ethanol in the gas will wear more heavily on the seals of the system than running 87 vs 91

Edit: obviously this isn't taking into account power output differences.. no idea about that nor do I really care..

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Octane rating and its relationship to turbo motor performance is clearly a black art no scientist has ever cracked the code for. Maybe someday....

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I shall continue this highly intellectual discussion with you right after you show me official word from Ford that says the truck makes more power on higher grade fuel.

Ford tells you to put 91 octane in the truck. You don't believe them.

Guys who tune engines for a living tell you 91 octane puts out more power. You don't believe them.

Funny thing about dumb people is most of them don't even realize they're dumb.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man there is a lot of stupid in this thread. This is from the owner's manual:

"For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer."

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
25c1d06cf5e0cfd04a85b2475f7d4dfda7d5d070df628a1080.jpg[

Is the Owners Manual "official enough" for you?

Read the following...

Man there is a lot of stupid in this thread. This is from the owner's manual:

"For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer."

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who wants to meet me at ocotillo wells next week. I'll put 91 gas in my truck, someone else put 87 and we will have ourselves back to back drag races!!! Then we will have some real world data!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20