Fuel grade required for the 2nd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanuckRaptor

Reaction score
Every dealer I went to told me that I am okay to put 87, and on the manual it says min 87 and recommend 91. But I read here many members put least 91. Who's right? Maybe the dealer really want to sell me the truck? I usually go with whatever is recommended in the manual, but not sure about this one.

gryGhst17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91 is preferred, but it runs ok on 87. The ecm compensates for the octane.

I mostly use 87.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everyone is right. Truck will run with 87 but potentially with reduced power as it's more prone to pre-detonation which will cause the computer to retard the timing, which means reduced power.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
According to 5 Star Tune's stock dyno charts, lose about 40 hp between 87 and 93 octane.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of fuel, the ecu will attempt to hit the advertised 450/510 numbers when at wot, but will pull back timing once it detects so many knock counts per unit time. If you are running 87 octane and the atmospheric conditions all favorable and no knock is detected, then you'll get max power. But it will be the limiting factor much faster than 91 and higher.
If you are concerned about saving like 300-500 dollars a year in 87 to 91. Then use 87 and don't stress out the engine, and your engine will be fine. I personally wouldn't tow an 8000 lb trailer up a large hill at wot on 87 for an engine designed and tested to make 450/510 on premium fuel.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bunch of theory being thrown out in this thread, just like any fuel thread. Can someone post official documentation - OFFICIAL - that says car makes advertised HP/TQ only with premium fuel?

There are enough home made engineers going around, I just want one of them to share official word from Ford.

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These threads are funny. Everybody has a theory. I'm waiting for the "you paid $70k for a truck, don't put in cheap gas!" post.

The instructors at Raptor assault all said they would use non-ethanol 88 octane if you can find it.

Which is where I would usually point out, perhaps they can't afford higher octane gas since they shelled out 70k for a truck. :)

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which is where I would usually point out, perhaps they can't afford higher octane gas since they shelled out 70k for a truck. :)

Except where I live, non ethanol costs more than premium.

Maybe you should just use premium if you can't afford the 88 octane non ethanol.