More power tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but whoever it is has not denied the accusations, nor inquired as to why the heck everyone is calling him/her that. So....

In regards to cold vs hot, I'm not educated on the impact. The motor doesn't stay cold long. Or am I thinking about it the wrong way?

Their dyno runs were done on a loaner truck. They started the morning with a cold baseline. They fine tuned their tweaks All day long and it was an excruciatingly hot day in Florida. By the end of the day the truck was beyond HOT. It was totally heat soaked. The intercooler was cooking. Etc. they made one last tuned run.... even though it was hot... and saw that the power was STILL 450 tuned. They showed that number as it was the most impressive that the power stayed up DESPITE the heat and the ambient air temp and humidity.

You can't possibly imagine the power and performance difference this tune makes. It is in a completely different league than 5 star. It's also pushing more boost as confirmed by my logs.

These guys have an unlimited amount of track data, quarter mile times, etc.... for all the older generation ecoboosts. They have the reputation to back up their dyno graph. I'm a first time customer with them and I owe them nothing and they owe me nothing. What I can tell you is that Im one happy customer.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A representative from MPT told me that the performance difference between a 93 and 91 tune is about 5%. Is that 5% of the trucks 450 HP, 5% of their gain over stock (I believe the HP gain is about 140 HP over stock?), 5% of the HP they are achieving? How much HP would I be losing with the 91 tune in lieu of the 93? 93 gas is readily available where I live, but if the HP loss isn't that extreme, I may go with the 91 tunes to be extra safe.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could this be true? I've always been told that a tune, assuming they go deep into the ECU forensics, will be traceable. If it is traceable, how about this scenario? You use this tune, but when the FP tune finally comes out you switch to that. Would they be able to discern that there was a tune on top of a tune, or would they just see the latest?

The PCM has a Flash Counter, no other information is stored when you return back to stock.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

I think you're worrying way too much about the 93 octane though. Even if you filled up with 87... tuned on 93... the truck has potent knock retarding built into its pcm. It'll retarded the spark advance and your truck will run crappy but it won't grenade.

A representative from MPT told me that the performance difference between a 93 and 91 tune is about 5%. Is that 5% of the trucks 450 HP, 5% of their gain over stock (I believe the HP gain is about 140 HP over stock?), 5% of the HP they are achieving? How much HP would I be losing with the 91 tune in lieu of the 93? 93 gas is readily available where I live, but if the HP loss isn't that extreme, I may go with the 91 tunes to be extra safe.

xBryanHoodsx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say I am impressed with the numbers and reviews and will be either doing this or the whipple FP tune if it is ever released when my truck comes in. Coming from the subaru sti world prev the data logging and tweaking of the tune is very important. This allows MPT to almost customize the tune for how your specific truck is running. It's not as good as a good dyno tuner but in the subaru world theirs guys that tuned only from data logs and their own base tune as it was better than 80% of dyno tuners out there. I would like to see their tune with an intake and intercooler upgrade and spd adaptors
!!!

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

I think you're worrying way too much about the 93 octane though. Even if you filled up with 87... tuned on 93... the truck has potent knock retarding built into its pcm. It'll retarded the spark advance and your truck will run crappy but it won't grenade.

I hate to admit it, but I over analyze everything. If the HP loss is minimal, then my decision is easy and 91 is the answer. If I am leaving a lot of HP on the table, then I will go with 93. Based on my understanding of the situation, I believed we are looking at a difference of about 7 to 8 HP between the two, so I will likely go with the 91 tunes to be safe. If anybody disagrees with my calculations, definitely let me know.

xBryanHoodsx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but I over analyze everything. If the HP loss is minimal, then my decision is easy and 91 is the answer. If I am leaving a lot of HP on the table, then I will go with 93. Based on my understanding of the situation, I believed we are looking at a difference of about 7 to 8 HP between the two, so I will likely go with the 91 tunes to be safe. If anybody disagrees with my calculations, definitely let me know.

My guess would be it's a 5% loss from the overall hp made on the 93tune... At least that's how I have seen it done in the past so you would be looking at about 22-25 hp difference between the tunes ... and the torque difference would be more than that.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be it's a 5% loss from the overall hp made on the 93tune... At least that's how I have seen it done in the past so you would be looking at about 22-25 hp difference between the tunes ... and the torque difference would be more than that.

Thanks for the feedback. Based on that response, I'm going to do the: 1) 93 PR-X for fun 2) the 91 Performance Tow for towing, extremely hot days, or when 93 isn't available on trips 3) the Performance Trans tune just in case something with the other tunes acts up. I hope to be testing by Friday evening and providing honest feedback over the weekend. I love this forum for sharing info and learning from others.