Tuning advice for a beginner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewpotter

Reaction score
Hello, thanks in advance... I am looking to tune my 2011 Raptor with maybe an exhaust, cold air intake, and a tuner/programmer.

Looking for advice for brand/ models, etc to get my truck an extra 50-100hp, keep under $2000 - $3000 all-in. I don't have any past experience with tuning and have had my truck since new and most importantly do not want to push the engine anywhere near a level it will be compromised. Some fuel economy from the tune would be nice but all I really care about is more HP.

Also if anyone has advice for a shop to go to, I am in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Thanks!

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First of all you will not gain 100hp out of tune and a couple bolt on parts but you can make a huge difference with: SVC tune, cold air intake, cat back exhaust, and a MUST Pedal commander. All of this will make it feel like you gained a ton of HP. It will transform the performance of your truck for sure.

Intakes, cat back exhaust set up, tunes are personal choices. You are going to need to find an exhaust shop to do the cat back install the rest you can handle yourself.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As mentioned above.

If it were me, I would call SVC first and pick there brain on changing CAI and doing a aftermarket Cat-Back.

Best Bang for $$$ is SVC Tune, Drop in K & N Filter, Pedal Commander if you want to spin the tires all the time (LOL) on the highest setting.
I recommend removing the resonator before the muffler first before spending money on a whole cat-back but that's just me.
Should gain you around 35 to 50 fwhp with 91 octane, 93 would be better if you can get it.

I'm pushing over 725 HP (560 RWHP) with full stock exhaust (no resonator because mine is a 2010 1/2, didn't come with one on) so the stock exhaust is pretty good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

drewpotter

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Any advice on a brand of exhaust? Also, what is a Pedal Commander?

Would you think I could get away with leaving the stock exhaust and doing all the other above recommendations? Is this kind of tuning hard on your engine?

Much appreciated guys...

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exhausts: Roush, Borla, Flowmaster, Corsa, Dirty Deeds, Stainless Works....GO to youtube listen and consider drone factors...
Pedal commander google and also there are threads here on the forum regarding it. Its awesome...All good stuff for your truck.
When it comes to tunes they will optimize how your engine and transmission work. Check the SVC Off road, these guys live and breath Raptors....

Last edited:

rmschaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search the appropriate forum sections. Exhaust, engine performance, et. al. for the mods you are considering. Yes there will be lots of reading but you are not the first and what you learn will be worth the time and your hard earned $$$

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like mentioned before take your time and read through the threads.

You haven't mentioned if you want loud or just looking for power doing a cat-back.

( I know I'm going to get flack for this next statement but I don't care )
I don't get the whole cat back exhaust mod thing. It doesn't add power.
It's just loud and annoys your neighbors.
But if loud is your thing go spend the money.

Long Tube headers is a power and torque gainer. 15 to 25 rwhp and 20 to 30 torque

Just doing the resonator delete will make the truck a little louder with a slightly deeper sound and a little added drone.
You can also just remove the whole exhaust after the muffler and use a turndown tips at the end of the muffler.
For me it's just tooooo loud, I've been it trucks with a that kind of setup and supercharged, you can't even hear the SC. LOL
A lot of guys do this if they do heavy off-roading, they usually whined up smashing the tail pipes anyway.

Pedal Commander is a ramp up multiplier for your fly by wire throttle body.
Example: you step on the pedal 10 and the TB will open 20, 30, 40% so on and the speed of it opening is increased depending on setting.
It does help your truck take off faster. Does not add HP, just makes the truck more responsive.

TUNE, this is where it's at, It's very easy to use and your drivetrain will benefit from it.
HP gains, removal of the 3,500rpm limiter before the TB opens up to 100%.
Shifts points and shift strategy is greatly improved!
Add the K & N drop in filter with the Tune and Fuel and Air is increased giving you more power.

Last edited:

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What MTF said.
The stock airbox with better filter and a muffler delete to the stock system flow as much air as a CAI and Cat Back.
Save your money on a cat back, and just cut out the stock muffler and replace with a Borla or something more straight through for some sound. It'll sound/feel faster..lol

The SVC or JDM tune will actually make gains on HP as well as good changes to the transmission. Ford Raptor-Mustang-Shelby GT500-F-150 Performance Parts & Tuning-JDM Engineering Jim at JDM knows his stuff.

OP
OP
D

drewpotter

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. Much appreciated. I'm leaning towards Roush, K&N and SCT for exhaust, a tuner, and filter. Would I be correct to say the Pedal commander is not necessarily if you install a tuner?

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
pedal commander and tuner are different animals. pedal commander is about eliminating the lag from drive by wire - makes it feel more like a cable operated carb, ie... instant response. it does nothing for hp/tq

tuner adds hp/tq and can improve shift patterns and firmness.