More power tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear the new tunes are more suited to your driving. Did you use the n gauge to install them?
I have the N gauge and tunes from 5 star as well, but would be interested in trying some of the tunes from mpt as well if they make the transmission smoother. Would be much easier if I'm easier to use the same tuner as well.

Hope that more time in the seat makes them feel even better.

Yes in used the same ngauge tuner I used that I bought from 5 star. I paid 300 for their tunes. They had same day turn around.

All around smoother. Power delivery. Transmission. There is this beautiful balance of having the pull you in your seat feel like the 5 star 93 performance tune but the power rolls in so smooth it's not jerky. You would be able to rock crawl this tune OR drive it in the snow. The tune is THAT smooth and the power control is that easy.

I'll give a detailed review with all my impressions later.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok....

I know I've posted a lot in bits and pieces. I wanted to get the info out to everyone in real time.

I've now done local driving, city type driving, and long distance (80mi one way).

It's that good. Adaptive cruise is giving me no issues. Works as intended. My highway mpg is back up to 16.5. The power exceeds 5 star by my interpretation. Again.... no disrespect to them... but the pull is incredible now.... not only that but it pulls harder in the upper rpm range and at higher speeds. Rolling on the throttle at 75mph is night and day different.

It breaks the tires loose on a dry street in 1, 2 and 3. I'm not exaggerating to sell anything. This is new. I have never driven a truck that cracks the tires loose shifting into 3 at almost 60mph.

Here is the best part though... it's manners are like a refined performance vehicle. The shift logic is brilliant and all the throttle characteristics and power delivery qualities are user friendly and daily driver worthy. The biggest thing that wasn't working for me with 5 star was the refinement and driving enjoyment factor... the power was there... but the city tune was super mellow and the shift logic was strange. The performance tune was super wild but it was totally impractical for me to drive around town. The hard downshifts, the overrevving gears.... the excess engine breaking... I could barely coast with it...

For me this is a home run and I couldn't be happier.
Their customer service has been outrageous too. I was told MPT were ecoboost legends and so that's why I gave them a shot. This was my last shot at using a portable tuner at home to get what I want. If this didn't work out I was going to mail away to livernois or whipple. This tune is legendary and I'm not mailing anything anywhere.

In my mind it's that good. Ford should contact them and buy whatever changes they made because it's on another level.

Hope that helps folks in their quest for performance! And to the guy looking for a smarter transmission and better throttle response to fix the stock shortfalls... this is it. Buy it and you'll never look back.

Last edited:

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should put you on as a commission based rep. You sold me. I will try this Ngauge and at the least, I can use it to log and load a HPT tune later I guess.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok....

I know I've posted a lot in bits and pieces. I wanted to get the info out to everyone in real time.

I've now done local driving, city type driving, and long distance (80mi one way).

It's that good. Adaptive cruise is giving me no issues. Works as intended. My highway mpg is back up to 16.5. The power exceeds 5 star by my interpretation. Again.... no disrespect to them... but the pull is incredible now.... not only that but it pulls harder in the upper rpm range and at higher speeds. Rolling on the throttle at 75mph is night and day different.

It breaks the tires loose on a dry street in 1, 2 and 3. I'm not exaggerating to sell anything. This is new. I have never driven a truck that cracks the tires loose shifting into 3 at almost 60mph.

Here is the best part though... it's manners are like a refined performance vehicle. The shift logic is brilliant and all the throttle characteristics and power delivery qualities are user friendly and daily driver worthy. The biggest thing that wasn't working for me with 5 star was the refinement and driving enjoyment factor... the power was there... but the city tune was super mellow and the shift logic was strange. The performance tune was super wild but it was totally impractical for me to drive around town. The hard downshifts, the overrevving gears.... the excess engine breaking... I could barely coast with it...

For me this is a home run and I couldn't be happier.
Their customer service has been outrageous too. I was told MPT were ecoboost legends and so that's why I gave them a shot. This was my last shot at using a portable tuner at home to get what I want. If this didn't work out I was going to mail away to livernois or whipple. This tune is legendary and I'm not mailing anything anywhere.

In my mind it's that good. Ford should contact them and buy whatever changes they made because it's on another level.

Hope that helps folks in their quest for performance! And to the guy looking for a smarter transmission and better throttle response to fix the stock shortfalls... this is it. Buy it and you'll never look back.

Thanks for all your posts!!!! I bought it this morning. I will post my feedback when I get everything installed and tested.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should put you on as a commission based rep. You sold me. I will try this Ngauge and at the least, I can use it to log and load a HPT tune later I guess.

Ha!

If you look at all my posts... you'll see I tend to be very skeptical of performance products and overcritical at times. I ruffled a few feathers over droning exhausts. My first exhaust was a bust. Second exhaust got it right.... first tune was good, but wasn't quite right...

This tune knocks it out of the park. I can't really find anything wrong with it. I had a lot of issues with the stock tune and above mentioned issues with the 5 star tune. This tune... I wouldn't change a thing! How is that possible? I find something wrong with everything?!?! This is why I am writing a glowing review.... I'm blown away.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha!

If you look at all my posts... you'll see I tend to be very skeptical of performance products and overcritical at times. I ruffled a few feathers over droning exhausts. My first exhaust was a bust. Second exhaust got it right.... first tune was good, but wasn't quite right...

This tune knocks it out of the park. I can't really find anything wrong with it. I had a lot of issues with the stock tune and above mentioned issues with the 5 star tune. This tune... I wouldn't change a thing! How is that possible? I find something wrong with everything?!?! This is why I am writing a glowing review.... I'm blown away.

I really hate spending the money, but I would never be completely happy with the truck without some kind of tune that reworks the transmission shift logic. When I posted concerns about the transmission on other posts, everybody seemed to reply with how much they love it. It just isn't right in my opinion. I have never driven a vehicle where I am so conscious about what the transmission is doing; that isn't a good thing.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really hate spending the money, but I would never be completely happy with the truck without some kind of tune that reworks the transmission shift logic. When I posted concerns about the transmission on other posts, everybody seemed to reply with how much they love it. It just isn't right in my opinion. I have never driven a vehicle where I am so conscious about what the transmission is doing; that isn't a good thing.

I completely agree. Normal more is too mushy and sport mode is too aggressive and holds gears too long. Some have said that tow mode is a happy medium, but to me it just feels like normal mode but uses all the gears. I'm wondering if this tune might be the answer also.

Question for those who have done a tune: how does the truck now respond when you shift between the various modes? Is it the same effect (more aggressive in sport mode, less aggressive in weather mode), but just a higher baseline of power?

Also @Guy you mentioned wheel spin in 1,2 and 3. Did you have traction control turned off, or is traction control less effective at mitigating wheel spin with the tune installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good question

Traction control off. With it on it does mitigate the burnouts.

The truck, in my opinion, drives like it should Have come from the factory.

All of the modes work as they did before. Sport just takes the shifting and throttle and makes it more aggressive.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm disappointed with my 5star daily tune it just doesn't shift well, power is good but that's it. I'll be calling these guys on Monday to get the ball rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASD1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the right ups just ordered one will let you know an the others what I think once I get it and get some time on it

This should hold me over until Swiitzer Performance comes out with their turbo replacement kit and tune