Fog light wired to Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elite_KG

Reaction score
Any one wire either fog light or auxiliary reverse lights to the hot wire feeding the headlight low beams?

I am wanting to use the hot feed for the headlights to activate a relay for fog light and auxiliary reverse lights. I will incorporate a bypass, but this is not really relevant.

So, does anyone know what color the hot wire is feeding the headlights and where the best place to access or tie-in.

I looked and there are 6 or 7 wires to each headlight assembly. Many color combinations or not shared, but a blue/grey and a grey/blue are common to both if I remember correctly.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a member had wire in a similar fashion, but cannot locate the comment. I think I read almost ever thread in this section.

Any help is appreciated.

OP
OP
E

Elite_KG

Reaction score
Called Ford Performance. They pulled the 2017 F150 LED wiring diagram.

According to them it is BN-BU (left lamp) and BU-GN (right lamp).

Seems to match up with Brown/Blue and Blue/Green that I can see on the head lights. Both wores are the third from the left when standing at the hood looking in.

I will try to test and confirm this weekend.

lottp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't gotten around to installing my fog lights yet, but plan to do the same with a relay.

Will be good to confirm this works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lottp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing my BD Unlimited kit and UPR catch can yesterday.

I wanted to confirm that the BN-BU and BU-GN (3rd wire from the left) are the correct wires in the headlight connectors if you want to tie in a relay.

I tied the smaller S2's to this relay so they'd always come on with the headlights as long as I also have AUX 6 on. I then tied the others to AUX 1 so they come on any time I turn that switch on (regardless of headlights).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Elite_KG

Reaction score
So its been a while since I bought my Rigid Ignite back-up lights. FINALLY got around to installing them today. I had planned on splicing into the headlights for relay activation, but after looking over the 7 pin trailer adapter I figured I could activate the relay from the running lights prong wire. The reverse wire is there too so all the business is right there at the back of the truck. I spliced into both, wired up the relay and tested.
It works awesome. The auxillary back-up lights will not activate unless the parking lights or headlights are on.
All that I have left to do is run my AUX 6 hot wire back there to have manual activation at any time. I tested this as well and it works great. I just didnt have enough time today to snake the wire all the way back and I didnt have enough lum to run.

I am pleased with the set-up as I did not want my auxillary reverse light on in the daytime. I didnt want to manully activate for reverse throught the upfitter. Its more autonomous this way.

I decided to leave my fog lights as manual only. This way I dont forget them on when road driving. I dont need anymore police attention.

Hope this helps others.

Last edited:

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've toyed with a similar idea. But I wanted to tie my Aux 1&2 switches to the high beam circuit. Thought being that my light bars, which are wired into Aux 1&2 will be instant off when I hit the low beams. That would make it much easier to spot the elk by the side of the forest roads and not have to scramble for multiple switches when a car comes from the other direction. Just never pursued it yet.