GEN 2 Whipple Performance Upgrade Kit and Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok...

Someone help me out.... I've looked at ALOT of dyno plots for all different cars, trucks, motorcycles.... you name it....

Why does that look like someone took a paint program and drew the lines on the graph? Did they trace over the actual graph to make it easier to read? I've never seen a dyno plot come out with fat finger-paint lines.

?

No idea. But Whipple is not known for inflating dyno results. They also have a very close relationship with Ford and a real engineering department so they definitely have a leg up on most others when it comes to tuning.

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can change the way the line is just in case you didn't know.
I've seen dashes, dots, semitransparent you name it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You can change the way the line is just in case you didn't know.
I've seen dashes, dots, semitransparent you name it.

remember the winpep days? :) there’s a graph “smoothing” function that makes the chart less granular and slightly easier to read. probably what they did here.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
remember the winpep days? :) there’s a graph “smoothing” function that makes the chart less granular and slightly easier to read. probably what they did here.

Yes they have smoothing set to 5 which I believe is the highest setting.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys.

I wasn't ragging on them. I've just never seen a dyno displayed that way.

I believe they are legitimate. My issue at this point is not being able to flash my own PCM. Mailing it in is counterproductive. I also would love to know how their tune compares to my 5 star tune.

I'm guessing it's very similar in terms of power and torque....

Do they adjust the shifting too?

Poodles84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys.

I wasn't ragging on them. I've just never seen a dyno displayed that way.

I believe they are legitimate. My issue at this point is not being able to flash my own PCM. Mailing it in is counterproductive. I also would love to know how their tune compares to my 5 star tune.

I'm guessing it's very similar in terms of power and torque....

Do they adjust the shifting too?

I emailed them as I'm looking for a good tune but don't need the truck endlessly searching for gears. Have yet to hear back on adjustments to shifting.

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm gonna say no one has the 2017 Raptor transmission file, they are all using a regular F150 3.5L 10 speed tranny file and I highly doubt it's a 2017
I haven't looked but what are the 2017 F150 3.5L guys saying about Tunes?

I am not sure if The engine Tune is from a Raptor but there are smart people out there.
I'm pretty sure they have the regular F150 3.5L Tune close enough.

Whipple and Shelby are using the Raptor files, that's why you need to send your PCM to them.
It will be an encrypted Tune you cannot see or edit it. It's the only way Ford and the government would allow this.
You can copy it but it would be all garbage if you could open it up in a program.
But A Ford dealer can log onto it to check the PCM, but they won't be able to do anything just check it.

We had to do this for two years with Whipple and our SC before files were all of sudden available and SCT was able to create a platform.

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna say no one has the 2017 Raptor transmission file, they are all using a regular F150 3.5L 10 speed tranny file and I highly doubt it's a 2017
I haven't looked but what are the 2017 F150 3.5L guys saying about Tunes?

I am not sure if The engine Tune is from a Raptor but there are smart people out there.
I'm pretty sure they have the regular F150 3.5L Tune close enough.

Whipple and Shelby are using the Raptor files, that's why you need to send your PCM to them.
It will be an encrypted Tune you cannot edit it. It's the only way Ford and the government would allow this.
You can copy it but it would be all garbage if you could open it up in a program.
But A Ford dealer can log onto it to check the PCM, but they won't be able to do anything just check it.

We had to do this for two years with Whipple and our SC before files were all of sudden available and SCT was able to create a platform.

I don't think this is entirely correct. 5 star has access to the 2017 Raptor files and have modified them as they see fit. They have access and were able to read the stock engine management and transmission management.

Now... I'm sure they did use prior experience with other ecoboost trucks to develop their tune. Their tuned files are also encrypted.

I have a 5 star tune. It makes excellent power. I'm not sure the transmission map is ideal yet, but aside from Ford engineers trying to improve gas mileage, I'm not sure anyone knows what to do with the 10 gears. I can tell you their transmission maps are much more Performance oriented than Fords....

Even in stock form the truck hunts for gears at times and is hit or miss on proper downshifts. Five star addresses a lot of the lazy, laggy shifting.

Whipple may have addressed the shifting in a superior fashiOn, but it's a big gamble. What if their transmission map isn't aggressive enough? What if it's too aggressive? What if it isnt exactly what you want??? You're stuck with it. You can't keep mailing back your pcm and I doubt it they will want to keep tuning it anyway.

With 5 star they will work with you until the tune is just the way YOU like it. As will many others that come to the market.... like MPT.... which is do out soon.

I'm just not sold on a one shot mail away tune yet.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think this is entirely correct. 5 star has access to the 2017 Raptor files and have modified them as they see fit. They have access and were able to read the stock engine management and transmission management.

Now... I'm sure they did use prior experience with other ecoboost trucks to develop their tune. Their tuned files are also encrypted.

I have a 5 star tune. It makes excellent power. I'm not sure the transmission map is ideal yet, but aside from Ford engineers trying to improve gas mileage, I'm not sure anyone knows what to do with the 10 gears. I can tell you their transmission maps are much more Performance oriented than Fords....

Even in stock form the truck hunts for gears at times and is hit or miss on proper downshifts. Five star addresses a lot of the lazy, laggy shifting.

Whipple may have addressed the shifting in a superior fashiOn, but it's a big gamble. What if their transmission map isn't aggressive enough? What if it's too aggressive? What if it isnt exactly what you want??? You're stuck with it. You can't keep mailing back your pcm and I doubt it they will want to keep tuning it anyway.

With 5 star they will work with you until the tune is just the way YOU like it. As will many others that come to the market.... like MPT.... which is do out soon.

I'm just not sold on a one shot mail away tune yet.

I don't mean this the way it will sound but do you really think 5 Star has access to things that Whipple and Shelby do not?

I urge you to rethink your logic.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at all.

They all have access to the stock maps. I didn't imply that they didn't.

From what I'm told... they were able to read the engine management and transmission management in all its glory.... or lack there of.... and from there they made their adjustments to the stock maps.

They did not Frankenstein a map from a regular 10
Speed ecoboost and graft it over the stock map.

Unless you guys know something to the contrary...

You're still not catching my point... until whipple has a way for you to flash it at home..... their tune is a one shot deal.... and if it's not what you want... you're not going to get it customized. There are VASTLY different feels to the different tunes.

I have one 5 star tune that's so aggressive the truck feels like you're driving a mustang. Instant throttle, no lag, crazy shifting where it's slamming gears... it'll suck you into the seat and lose traction for the first couple of gears.

Then I have another tune... same horsepower.... that feels like a grocery getter.

The difference between the two is the drive by wire. Transmission and torque management.

I don't doubt that whipple can make the horsepower they show on their dyno, but what you do with that power completely changes how the truck behaves.
The stock tune is EXTREMELY mild... that's for sure.

The only way I'm going to find out is to either buy their tune or drive someone else's who has it.