Upfitter Switch Tailgate Release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I am driving down a back road and hit all of my up switches at then same time to turn on my lights will my beer cooler fall out of the back of my truck if I do this?

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So if I am driving down a back road and hit all of my up switches at then same time to turn on my lights will my beer cooler fall out of the back of my truck if I do this?

Guess it depends on where your beer cooler is :ROFLJest:

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Today I finally became sick of not having a way to "pop" the tailgate from inside the truck besides digging in my pockets for the key fob. So, I started tinkering around until I found a way to pop the tailgate using the up fitter switches. Here is a short video and writeup I made to cover it if anyone else is interested. Costs less than $10 and takes about 30 mins. 2017+ 802A trucks only.

what_a_great_idea1.jpg

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're driving down a back road with your beer in the bed, you totally ******* deserve to lose it.

But noooo, the truck active release system won't let the tailgate open.

OP
OP
Ruby

Ruby

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It doesn’t activate while driving. It uses the same system as the fusion and focus use for their trunk releases. It’s doesn’t do anything once you start moving. Your beer is safe!

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

If you're driving down a back road with your beer in the bed, you totally ******* deserve to lose it.

And no, the truck active release system won't let the tailgate open.

What he said^^

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so switch number 6 it is. I am jealous of "what exits" setup in his bed. I could tie in more than just 1 beer cooler.

OP
OP
Ruby

Ruby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruby...what do you have that ARB fuse hooked up to?

I have the ARB CKMTA12 Dual compressor mounted under the passenger side rear seat.

Attachments

• 18557141_1482325528479062_2578808070764840351_n.jpg
    18557141_1482325528479062_2578808070764840351_n.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the ARB CKMTA12 Dual compressor mounted under the passenger side rear seat.

Cool. I travel with a Viair 440P and a Safety Seal plug kit.

Did you plumb the air to the wheels? Also how did you route your wires? Assume you used 8 awg?

I'm awaiting my 18 and want to install a second battery. Any idea wear I can fit the second battery?

Thanks.

OP
OP
Ruby

Ruby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. I travel with a Viair 440P and a Safety Seal plug kit.

Did you plumb the air to the wheels? Also how did you route your wires? Assume you used 8 awg?

I'm awaiting my 18 and want to install a second battery. Any idea wear I can fit the second battery?

Thanks.

I didn't plumb air to the wheels. I have a air chuck on the compressor mount itself, and one on the rear bumper that mirrors the keyhole for the spare tire hole.

Since the ARB compressor is a Dual pump compressor, each pump has its own wire and fuse. Each pump is ran using 10AWG wire. I routed the dual 10AWG wires through the firewall behind the glovebox area, then under the kickplates and door sills all the way to the area behind the seat. From there I routed along the power amp wires to make it look seamless. I grounded the compressors using dual 10AWG as well.

Attacted is a picture of the setup before I ran an addition airline out to the rear bumper.

Attachments

• IMG_2949.jpg
    IMG_2949.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited: