Changing Tranny Fluid...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Added drain plug from O'Riley's.

What is the difference between the "A" and the "B" hash marks?

Full is at the top of both?

Is it ok if it is in the middle when hot and in park?

Attachments

• IMG_20170414_180551780.jpg
    IMG_20170414_180551780.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 174

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
6R80 Transmission Sorcery:
- Adding 3.5 quarts of transmission fluid is an initial fill enabling the engine to be started.
- COLD FLUID LEVEL CHECK:
-- Start the engine, and run the gear shift through all gears 5 seconds each to purge the air from the transmission fluid cooling system.
-- With engine running and transmission in park, add transmission fluid until the level reaches the dash where it says on the dipstick "CHECK HOT - IDLING IN PARK." Dipstick measurements are taken with the dipstick separated from the fill plug, and the dipstick inserted into fill plug hole but not screwed in.
-- The dipstick and filler hole is very, very close to the exhaust system. You WILL burn your knuckles if you don't wear gloves, but the clearances are so close that wearing gloves will make manipulation of the dipstick very difficult in the close confines involved. Fingerless gloves may be the solution. I still have scars on the first and second knuckles of my right hand.
-- Repetitively add fluid and check level until the level reaches the dash as described above. When a proper level is reached and the measurement is consistent, you're ready for the hot fluid level check.
- HOT FLUID LEVEL CHECK:
-- Install the transmission dipstick and fluid fill plug - 26 ft-lbs.
-- Drive the truck. This insures that the transmission fluid circulates through the transmission, torque converter, and transmission fluid cooling system. Transmission fluid needs to be between 176 and 185 degrees F (80 to 85 degrees C) for the hot fluid check.
-- With truck in Park, engine at idle, remove the transmission fluid fill plug, separate the fill plug from the dipstick, and check the fluid level as before. If you didn't burn your knuckles before, you probably will now. A proper fill is with the fluid level consistently at the TOP of the hash marks on the dipstick.
-- When proper level is reached, reinstall dipstick and filler fill plug - 26 ft-lbs. Truck is now ready to drive.
-- Tend to your burned knuckles.

SOURCE: Section 307-01 Automatic Transaxle/Transmission - 6R80, 2011 Mustang Repair Manual, February 2011

Last edited:

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dip stick does not say"check when hot and in park". It only says "refer to owners manual" with an a and a b hash marks but there is nothing in there about the transmission stick. Looks the same as others but says completely different things and I'm not sure that the hash marks are in the same spot as the others ones. They look close but I would hate to be a fool and assume something wrong.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My dip stick does not say"check when hot and in park". It only says "refer to owners manual" with an a and a b hash marks but there is nothing in there about the transmission stick. Looks the same as others but says completely different things and I'm not sure that the hash marks are in the same spot as the others ones. They look close but I would hate to be a fool and assume something wrong.

On our dipsticks, the lower mark is the cold level and the upper mark is the hot level. If you are running your truck with the level between the two marks, your transmission fluid is low.

Adding fluid must be done with the engine and transmission hot, running, and in Park. If you remove the fill plug with the engine/tranny cold and/or not running, you will spill your expensive new transmission fluid all over your garage floor.

This service is best done with a lift. Doing it on a lift might make burned knuckles less likely. But it can be done with tires on the ground. That's how I did it, and I have the burn scars to prove it.

Last edited:

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On our dipsticks, the lower mark is the cold level and the upper mark is the hot level. If you are running your truck with the level between the two marks, your transmission fluid is low.

Adding fluid must be done with the engine and transmission hot, running, and in Park. If you remove the fill plug with the engine/tranny cold and/or not running, you will spill your expensive new transmission fluid all over your garage floor.

This service is best done with a lift. Doing it on a lift might make burned knuckles less likely. But it can be done with tires on the ground. That's how I did it, and I have the burn scars to prove it.

Cool thank you that's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure so I didn't overfill it

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I discovered a couple tricks to avoid burning your hands when checking or filling the fluid.

First gloves are to big and bulky to be able to turn the plug or pull the dip stick so use a decently thick and durable rag and wrap it around the back and side of your hand and fingers leaving your palm exposed then reach up and get to it. The rag will heat up but a lot slower than your skin. No way to avoid the hot plug tho.

Second get a piece of copper tubing 12 inches long that fits in your transfer pump hose, I used 3/8, and seal with a hose clamp then bend the end in a 180 with about 2 inch hook to reach into the plug hole.

Attachments

• IMG_20170419_183754182.jpg
    IMG_20170419_183754182.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20170419_183803512.jpg
    IMG_20170419_183803512.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 112

kidkotic2001

Reaction score
Okay so I did a radiator replacement and some trans fluid came out I say a little under half a cup. Should I refill it? Never messed with trans and it sucks that I have to get under and prob make a mess. Here is a pic of the fluid, also work this amount of fluid missing is it drivable just in case I want to take it to dealer instead to get it topped up. 20231120_115327.jpg