What do you run for Tire Pressure on/off road???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
nitrogen is used to leak check refrigeration systems because it contains no moisture. as any A/C tech knows, moisture and Freon = corrosive acid and a ticking time bomb. but that's besides the point. unfortunately my impression of using nitrogen in car tires is a cute idea but basically pointless if you're just driving around town. yes nitrogen will remain at a more consistent pressure during temperature fluctuation due to the lack of moisture, but even severely humid air in your tires will only allow for a couple PSI swing and that's worst case scenario. as for holding air longer...the claims are that nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules and therefore will not dissipate through the rubber as quickly...well maybe but the rate at which tires might naturally deflate is so slow to begin with you would surely see a service bay with a tire rotation before it ever became an issue...and it's never really been proven it's just a claim with a little science to back it up. what you definitely do gain is green valve stem caps tho...sweeeet

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, worked on Brine chillers for almost 11 years, I know what we use nitrogene for, and like I said, not only do we use it to leak check, but it also helps with moisture...but the dehydration occurs when you put the system in a vacuum with a vacuum pump, which any HVAC tachnician should know, so I would agree...and most systems would have a moisture indicating sight glass.

I agree, unless you are racing (tire pressure can change a vehicles handling characteristics) its a mute point to use. However, moisture isn't good for your TPMS sensor..and I know nitrogene is better than gas station water...or air is what they like to call it....AND it was FREE! I guess some will still turn it down regardless if it was free or not, but like I posted earlier, I got a panel light 2K miles using normal air from the dealership..went back to my local dealer and had it refilled and no issues.

At my elevation and constant weather changes (get as low as 35 and as hot as 85 in one day) its nice not to constantly break out my tire gauge...

But I would not pay for it that's for sure LOL if it wasn't for free, I wouldn't be sporting it lol but ask your dealer and see if they can include it for free on initial purchase

TommyBwell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that this thread is a year old I'll fire it back up. I am going to Little Sahara in Oklahoma and have been wondering what pressure to run. I have been emailing with a guy that has run his Raptor there twice and he ran 42 the first time and 35 the second. I am planning on jumping it a bunch and am concerned that if I go too low I might bend a wheel.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Now that this thread is a year old I'll fire it back up. I am going to Little Sahara in Oklahoma and have been wondering what pressure to run. I have been emailing with a guy that has run his Raptor there twice and he ran 42 the first time and 35 the second. I am planning on jumping it a bunch and am concerned that if I go too low I might bend a wheel.
Talk to OkieRacing View Profile: OkieRacing - Ford Raptor Forum - SVT Offroad | F150 Forum | F-150 SVT Raptor Blog He has been out there several times.
http://www.svtoffroad.com/f30/another-trip-little-sahara-oklahoma-3937/

Kurt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tire pressure ?

So what pressure does everyone run their tires at when you air down for off road ?

On my other trucks i've normaly dropped it down to about a 1/3 of the normal pressure ...

Does this seem about right for the raptor and its stock wheel configuration ?

Thanks !

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
25# in the dirt. I do not bother to air back up when hitting the road again. I have my stock wheels and tires to use here at home when the truck is a daily driver. I hate the General's for street use.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Sometimes I won't bother adjusting them and sometimes I'll go to low 30's. In the sand at the dunes, I go to around 18.