Tuffy Box w/ OE Rear Floor Mat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkneeshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baja, all you need to do is make two slices in the factory mat at the corners of the box and then let the edge of the mat bend upward along the front of the box.

Hey, do you have pictures of what you mean? Are you talking about relief cuts in the edging of the mats to allow it to bend up without binding the edges of the mat?

(yes, I realize this is an old thread, thought I'd bump rather than create new)

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey, do you have pictures of what you mean? Are you talking about relief cuts in the edging of the mats to allow it to bend up without binding the edges of the mat?[/QUOTE

I went out to the truck to take that picture and discovered that I didn't cut the rubber OEM floor mats after all. I just plunked the lock box down on top of the floor mat and called it good. It's worked fine ever since - the seat locks down as designed.

rkneeshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks.

I'd like to be able to remove and clean those rear mats easily since I'll probably have the kiddos back there a lot in the winter.

Someone mentioned possibly trying spacers under the Tuffy box to keep it off the floor a bit. I'm about to buy one of these, I might have to just wing it and see if I can get spacers to work.

rkneeshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my tuffy installed today and used spacers to keep the front lip of the box up off the mats enough that they can be removed.

Even with the spacers, the size of the mat makes it a PITA to install and remove with the box in there. It still might even be easier to remove the box to take the floor mat in and out... but at least this way we have options right?

You'll need a 5/8" tall spacer and a M8 1.25 pitch 40mm long bolt.

The bracket on the passenger side of the box is already adjustable so you can simply mount it higher up to make more room for the mat underneath

Here is the spacer in place and the new bolt compared to the bolt that came with the tuffy box:
IMG_20170722_1105088.jpg

Bolted in:
IMG_20170722_1108514.jpg

Complete:
IMG_20170722_1113248.jpg

mstennes

Reaction score
I just cut my mat, I did however drill 4 Giles and securely mounted mine to the floor as well. I use mine to store firearms so I want it secure as well, I'm also adding 2 locks instead of one like they come standard.