Rear Axle Shifted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Apparently this is common. Most don't notice. I've seen pictures of crushed bump stops from the misalignment. Also seen thread where dealership was unable to resolve.

I have seen those as well. Just curious if it left the factory with the axle offset or if it happened once they hit the road. I am betting they are not shifting but leaving the factory with that defect. It sure appears that the spring perches were welded in the wrong location.

OP
OP
M

MagnetMan14

Reaction score
I have seen those as well. Just curious if it left the factory with the axle offset or if it happened once they hit the road. I am betting they are not shifting but leaving the factory with that defect. It sure appears that the spring perches were welded in the wrong location.

I'm the guys whose truck spent two weeks at the dealership due to this. They're leaving the factory like this. I was originally worried I broke my truck, but nope, two new, off the train, trucks had the same thing. Ford was basically like, if it tracks straight and the driveshaft is aligned, there's no problem. Still don't know what is off exactly but would hope the community will eventually put its' finger on it. Best of luck.

Also, just to add, the misalignment for tracking purposes makes no sense. Some are off and some are not.

Last edited:

Grey03

Reaction score
Pretty common with solid axles. My 2010 GT500 had the same problem. On those cars you can buy an adjustable pan hard rod and pull the rear into alignment. I know it's not possible for us with our Raptor's, but it shows that we are not alone. As long as it tracks straight it's probably within "specs"..

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first I thought I had the same problem. What tipped me off was noticeable rocks chips in the paint on the passenger side on the lower front fender flair area. There were a few chips on the drivers side but much less. So I looked and the tire stuck out further on the passenger side.

I took the truck to the dirt last weekend for a quick session. When I came back the chips were much worse on the passenger side. I ended up wondering if it was a frame or bed issue. So I measured the gap between the bed and the cab. The bed is absolutely crooked and shifted to the drivers side, hence the tire sticking out on the passenger side.

I have an appointment on monday to fix the leaking oil pan gasket and now they are going to look at this issue. It wouldn't be a big deal to me except the rock chips get worse on the passenger side every time I go offroad.

Drivers side
IMG_4781.jpg

Passengers side
IMG_4782.jpg

Last edited:

Grey03

Reaction score
Wouldn't you know it, I checked mine and it is indeed off.. Like I said before I have seen and owned Mustangs with the same problem. Never affected how the vehicle drove or it's longevity. Annoying but not harmful.

bigboy4eva

Reaction score
I checked my supercrew the right rear tire sits about an inch outer compared to the left. So how is this fixed does the axel come off, is it something adjustable.

Grey03

Reaction score
Looking at these pictures it appears that your damage is actually coming from the FRONT tires. It's not likely that something thrown out from the rear tire is going to curve inward. Most of the damage is where the fender starts to curve back towards the cab. That means the sand, rocks, or mud thrown off of the rear tire would have to fly past the outside edge of the fender and then curve inwards... The laws of physics kinda go against this. NOW, the front tires are throwing material straight at that area.. The most likely cause is material thrown off of the front tires flying right up past the cab and hitting the area that is now sticking out. Why on one side more than the other?? Maybe you were turing one way more than the other, maybe the paint is thinner on that side, or maybe your front wheel sticks out...

Drivers side
View attachment 90443

Passengers side
View attachment 90444[/QUOTE]