Android Auto on Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering switching to a Samsung, currently on an iPhone 7. CarPlay to me is buggy and it's just not on this truck but had a Volvo which had it and had different bugs as well. Is Android stable? The one thing I miss about the way CarPlay/on board system was set up on the Volvo was that I was able to use the Volvo navi to display directions in the instrument cluster while still having full use of other features on CarPlay. With Sync/CarPlay, I can't use the on board navigation while using CarPlay. I'm just not crazy about Maps app on Apple.

At least with Android I have access to Google Maps, and hopefully Waze in the near future. But I still like using the on board system as it is a lot more reliable when cell service gets poor. Is it possible to display navigation directions in the instrument cluster using Ford's system while having Android Auto active?

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering switching to a Samsung, currently on an iPhone 7. CarPlay to me is buggy and it's just not on this truck but had a Volvo which had it and had different bugs as well. Is Android stable? The one thing I miss about the way CarPlay/on board system was set up on the Volvo was that I was able to use the Volvo navi to display directions in the instrument cluster while still having full use of other features on CarPlay. With Sync/CarPlay, I can't use the on board navigation while using CarPlay. I'm just not crazy about Maps app on Apple.

At least with Android I have access to Google Maps, and hopefully Waze in the near future. But I still like using the on board system as it is a lot more reliable when cell service gets poor. Is it possible to display navigation directions in the instrument cluster using Ford's system while having Android Auto active?

In my experience Google maps on Android Auto will tell you your location even when you don't have service, I think it uses the accelerometer on the phone along with the GPS signal. I've been in the middle of the bush with zero bars for hours and it still followed my location. If you need all the data based features to work like search, you may be able to load that area as an offline map on your phone.

Regardless of your phone of choice, Android Auto is a better system than Carplay IMO. It still has the odd glitch, but overall it works great. Carplay is glitchy as hell when I use it, beyond the fact that its kind of plain and less useful, with worse voice recognition.

darkneo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never used Carplay, only Android Auto. I really like it, nav is probably my favorite thing since it's so far ahead of the stock Sync system.

drhappy

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I'm running a new S8+ with WAZE Beta loaded as well as an iPhone 6+. The Android is a work phone and the only platform at this point that has WAZE capabilities through Android Auto. I have my music loaded on the iPhone.

From my experience, both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are clunky in comparison Sync3 and from a nav perspective you lose some functionality i.e. the speed limit icon which I like. Navigating from WAZE to my music is a challenge as well as every time you get in the truck you have to relink everything.

As Google now owns WAZE I'm hopeful they'll seamlessly integrate it into Android Auto's regular map which should help a little. I'd also like to see SAT imagery like on my wife's Audi. Android Auto displays the SAT images while it's not connected to the truck why not when.....

Attachments

• Waze in Raptor.jpg
    Waze in Raptor.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So from the sound of it if AA is active Sync's navigation cannot be used? Carplay is supposed to be able to mirror some information such as navigation directions to the instrument cluster's display but I don't know of any manufacturers who have implemented this yet.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get Google Maps (or any of Android Auto) to work via bluetooth? Or does the phone have to be plugged in via USB?

I tried getting mine to work last week but the Sync screen wasn't cooperating. It was unable to find apps on the phone and did not auto-start Android Auto when I connected my phone via bluetooth...

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I could never get android auto to work with my '17 raptor and samsung J3, ******* thing sucks

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could never get android auto to work with my '17 raptor and samsung J3, ******* thing sucks

You probably already know this. The reason I bring it up is because I just found out LOL.

Android auto only works when the USB is plugged into the top port in the truck.

Like I said you probably already know, so of so, disregard my response...ibut I thought I'd throw it out there just in case, since I myself just figured that part out.:baby:

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get it to even download all of my contacts, much less anything more complicated than that.