Ford Warranty Denied Internal Taillight Cracks Claim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D-Dub

D-Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the e-mail response from Ford along with my reply

This is the e-mail received from the Ford Rep. I redacted the names as it is still an open claim, until it is read, and they close it out.

Good afternoon Mr. B,

We are currently reviewing your case to see what programs are available to assist you regarding the left tail lamp of your vehicle.

Regarding your right tail lamp, unfortunately, since we cannot verify the cause of the damage or whether it was cracked before you pulled the tail lamp off, we are not able to cover the repair cost.

I will follow up with you on Monday 7/10/17 to see where we are at with the determination. If I hear something before that date, I will reach out to you with the results. Thank you for your time and patience. I hope you have a fantastic 4th of July!

Warmest regards,

Ford Motor Company ®

Ms (Ford Rep) - close this claim as unresolved, however, I request you provide a copy of this e-mail to your supervisor and Ford Corporate. I will not go through this again with Ford Warranty. I stopped buying ford vehicles in 1996 because of the poor warranty claim process. I personally find it offending that you “can not determine” the taillight was not cracked prior to me removing the taillight. Forget about the broken corner piece, the internal cracks that are clearly visible not only on the right side, but on the left taillight as well, that was never removed, should be evidence enough that it is more “probable then not” the cracks existed prior to my removal. Why I find this personally offending is the fact that I retired as a Chief Warrant Officer in the U.S. Army. My integrity is above reproach, I still work as an Army Civilian in a field that requires a security clearance. Basically what I am telling you is that your comment “cannot determine if the cracks existed prior to my removing the taillight” is a polite way of saying “we (Ford Warranty)” do not believe what you are saying which is the reason for the denial. However, if you find the similar cracks on the left taillight exist, you must also find that it is more likely then not to have been on the right side as well. I will pay for a new right taillight and pay the dealer to install it. That way Ford cannot insult me any further by claiming I installed it incorrectly, should it prove there is a flaw and Ford sends out a TSB or recall in the future. I had recall problems with my 89 Ford Mustang when it was recalled for a wiring harness issue. Initially, according to the Ford Dealer in Copperas Cove, TX, because the vehicle was over 5 years old, I was going to have to pay for the harness recall resolution (an extension to the harness that took 5 minutes to install)... then again when the motor had to be replaced on my wife’s 91 Ford Tempo. The bottom line here is the cost of a taillight is $423.89 (dealer cost) and maybe 1/2 hour in labor charges is minimal, I will pay for it. However, unlike that long ago, social media, YouTube, and various other internet websites help those like me connect and spread the word and share similar warranty claim issues. I could understand questioning something suspect on a major component, like an engine, transmission etc. So with that, I will take my 2017 Ford Raptor, and make it the last Ford that will ever own. All because of less then a $1000 claim. At least GM goes out of their way to honor warranty claims.

Thank you
Regards

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well said, sir. It's such a shame when a company cannot see the forrest for the trees in these kinds of cases. I still hold hope that they'll right the wrong here, but it never should have got to this point.

Thank you for your service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the e-mail received from the Ford Rep. I redacted the names as it is still an open claim, until it is read, and they close it out.

Hoping it goes in your favor, but I'll walk the unfavorable opinion here

When you monkey around with your vehicle, you always have to be careful of not giving corporate ammo to use against you

I try to wait 3 months or so just to ensure I've found any issues for repair before the mods start

It isn't personal but think of all the people that mod their vehicles and how many of them claim the issue was there prior to the mods - it's just an easier corporate policy to draw the line where it stands

Same reason some/most electronics have a warranty sticker that - once broken - voids the original warranty

No one wants to spend time playing detective to figure out if the unauthorized entry was the cause of the issue - no one is getting paid for that time

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will play the you removed it on the right side all day long it's all to easy for them. Ford doesn't care about the customer, they have plenty of them so losing a few is no big deal to them. If this was a local shop and a local deal I'd bet it was handled immediately. Even though the facts are clear, both had damage in the same spot prior to your removal of the right side. Did the left magically receive the cracks through some kind of sonic wave? They may replace the other side but be prepared for the we aren't replacing shit and have a nice day line.

OP
OP
D-Dub

D-Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty Claims

Jay & Baja, you are both correct. Baja, I’ve had the truck for 6 months, the only claim that I had prior to this one was the SYNC screen went dead two weeks after I bought the truck. It took a week in the shop to do a wire trace and some other wiz bang testing IAW the MFG tech guidelines. In the end it was determined to be a faulty display. Warranty covered this, but only after it spent 10 days total in the shop and a tech running diagnostics after diagnostics and circuit traces. Funny thing about that was my unfamiliarity with everything that little display controlled. In the end I was happy that is all it turned out to be, at one point the service manager said they may have to replace the entire wire harness. Anyone who knows anything about wrenching on trucks and cars, knows that chasing electrical gremlins once they start they never end. Besides, as far as this claim is concerned I’ve already instructed Ford to close the claim, I will pay for it. If they want to play with the left side fine... but I’m done with it, I got better things to do with my time. When I called to order the right taillight I found out there was a $50.00 core charge. The BLIS taillight is used on the 2015 -2017 F150, if so equipped. Jay you are correct, Ford cares less about the “twos and fews” customers they lose... there isn’t enough of a customer base loss that cause their bean counters to lose any sleep over. I mean seriously, I’m not unhappy with the truck or the dealer, just the games that customers have to play with the warranty process, that I thought by now would have been resolved since 1996. Live and learn I guess.

OP
OP
D-Dub

D-Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update to the Warranty Claim Denial

The e-mail I received this morning.

Good afternoon Mr. B,

I have discussed your case with my supervisor so he is aware of your feedback. If you would like to write in to Ford Corporate, please use the address I provided below. I have documented your feedback and attached your email to your case so we have it on record.

Regarding your situation, we have reviewed your case and, unfortunately, we do not have a program that would be able to cover your repair since you are in warranty. We cannot overturn or go around your warranty, so if a claim is denied, we wouldn’t be able to assist. I am sorry for your situation, but Ford will not be able to assist you with your repair cost.

At this time, we will be closing out your case and encourage you to work with the dealership regarding your repair. Please keep my information if you have any future questions or concerns.

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

My reply -

Ms. L,

Thank you for taking the time to review my case and closing this out. I already knew what the outcome would be and I planned on paying for the right taillight. The left taillight really wasn’t supposed to be a claim, only to show the Service Manager there are cracks and separation in the opposite side as evidence of cracks on a taillight that was never removed, which was denied as, if I understood what I was told correctly, there wasn’t evidence the cracks were not causing harm to the taillight. Just so I understand what you are conveying to me correctly, Ford Corporate cannot override Ford Warranty if a Claim is denied, Ford Customer Service/Relations cannot intervene on behalf of the customer if there is not a program available, the dealer cannot override Ford Warranty unless the dealer choses to pay for the repair cost themselves and lastly, apparently Ford does not have an arbitration program. Am I correct in my understanding? If this is correct, I now have full knowledge and understanding of the processes and will better be informed to know not to bother with attempts at resolution of a denied Warranty Claim. Ford has some great performance and non-performance products. It is a shame the new vehicle bumper to bumper warranty process mars these great products. Again, thank you for taking the time to review the case.

Thanks,
Regards

OP
OP
D-Dub

D-Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty Update

Ok - After a meeting with the sales managers, service manager, and owner of the dealership, Mr Matthews, of Matthews Ford, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, we agreed that I would pay $275 and the dealer would cover the rest. Mr. Matthews expressed his displeasure with Ford Warranty and Customer relations that this was obviously a defect clearly visible. If I understood correctly, since he owns several Ford Dealerships he was going to take this up directly to Ford Corporate. In the end, Mr. Matthews said they don't normally do what is being done because this should have been covered under the bumper to bumper warranty and the dealer is eating the cost because the P18 program wouldn't cover them. But my reputation with most of the salesmen, techs, service manager, Bill Winter and Brian Ross (new car sales managers) as a customer and ally of the dealer ruled the day. So new parts have been ordered and I expect the truck will be repaired next week. I hope ford eventually comes out with a TSB or recall because fitment is causing the stress fractures. Then I will submit for refund. As a side note, there has been an "unexplained" exodus of parts and service managers from Ford dealerships in various parts of the nation. Being retired military I still have contact with former soldiers and friends I served with... and they are telling me first hand horror stories dealing with Ford Warranty. Most are buying Toyota Tacoma, Tundra or 4 Runners and have been getting nothing but top notch treatment and service after the sale! What a shame.

Last edited:

Hagasan41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Send them a link to this post and I bet it'll get more attention.

It's unfortunate that comprehensive training, common sense and accountability aren't required to be a Ford customer service representative/supervisor. The lack of service after the sale, the questionable dealer service and the poor QC control measures in Dearborn should be of great concern to Ford corporate.

It may start with just a handful of customers avoiding the brand, but with the trend of consumers educating themselves before making purchases it won't be long before that handful turns into several thousand handfuls...

Bravo to the dealer for stepping up.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok - After a meeting with the sales managers, service manager, and owner of the dealership, Mr Matthews, of Matthews Ford, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, we agreed that I would pay $275 and the dealer would cover the rest. Mr. Matthews expressed his displeasure with Ford Warranty and Customer relations that this was obviously a defect clearly visible. If I understood correctly, since he owns several Ford Dealerships he was going to take this up directly to Ford Corporate. In the end, Mr. Matthews said they don't normally do what is being done because this should have been covered under the bumper to bumper warranty and the dealer is eating the cost because the P18 program wouldn't cover them. But my reputation with most of the salesmen, techs, service manager, Bill Winter and Brian Ross (new car sales managers) as a customer and ally of the dealer ruled the day. So new parts have been ordered and I expect the truck will be repaired next week. I hope ford eventually comes out with a TSB or recall because fitment is causing the stress fractures. Then I will submit for refund. As a side note, there has been an "unexplained" exodus of parts and service managers from Ford dealerships in various parts of the nation. Being retired military I still have contact with former soldiers and friends I served with... and they are telling me first hand horror stories dealing with Ford Warranty. Most are buying Toyota Tacoma, Tundra or 4 Runners and have been getting nothing but top notch treatment and service after the sale! What a shame.

Like a lot of specialty vehicles, it's easy to dismiss the Raptor market as a niche market. Like other premium domestic products, however, we end up being brand ambassadors (for better or worse) so a little respect and customer service goes a long way. I'm glad to hear that the dealer took care of you, and recognizes the value of your business and those you're in contact with.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score

D-Dub,

Glad to hear they are taking care of this situation. Although I wish it was free of charge to you. As an Army man myself I have seen my Soldiers throughout the years get screwed over by car dealers. I have made many visits to local dealers with the CSM or 1SG to clear up misdealing details with these people.