Back up Camera Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dunerdad9599

Reaction score
Goofy backup camera

Has anybody had this problem? My backup camera works but the screen on the dash shows a mirror image - that is, what's really on the right appears on the left & vice versa? And the 2 red / yellow / green lines have disappeared. Truck is a 2011.

Chrisfit138

Reaction score
You can go in the settings on the dash screen to get the grid lines back up. It's under Drivers Assist if I'm not mistaken.

dhanni848

Reaction score
2011 SCREW - Back up camera was out when I bought the truck over a year ago so I replaced it with a used one off ebay. Camera worked awesome until about a week ago. The screen flashes the picture, and will eventually get worse and worse. Last night I disconnected it from under the truck to make sure all was clean. No corrosion or anything out of place looking. Plug it back up, works for about 10 sec perfect, and then goes back to flashing and gradually worse.

Thoughts? Where can I source a camera only that is not $250???

dhanni848

Reaction score
again today randomly a good picture one time that never went away, and the rest of the time flashing. No one else had any problems?

rmschaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Define flashing, picture then no picture, until image degrades. Or picture then white screen/black screen? FYI I am unsure of this trucks system but there are basically two types of imagining systems. Analog and digital. I suspect the systems in these trucks is analog and not the best either. If that is the case then the camera is constantly transmitting an image if it is powered, once image gets where it is going then it is processed and retransmitted to the display. Digital is processed at the camera and then sent to a central processor that then decides where it should go. I suspect your problem is likely in what ever processing unit is handling it after the camera. It may very well be that you have a intermittent short in between camera and processor that becomes more pronounced the longer it exists. Possibly to the point of ruining your camera. Look very carefully at the wiring from camera to cab and pay extra attention to any mods done that maybe anywhere that said wiring is.

dhanni848

Reaction score
Define flashing, picture then no picture, until image degrades. Or picture then white screen/black screen? FYI I am unsure of this trucks system but there are basically two types of imagining systems. Analog and digital. I suspect the systems in these trucks is analog and not the best either. If that is the case then the camera is constantly transmitting an image if it is powered, once image gets where it is going then it is processed and retransmitted to the display. Digital is processed at the camera and then sent to a central processor that then decides where it should go. I suspect your problem is likely in what ever processing unit is handling it after the camera. It may very well be that you have a intermittent short in between camera and processor that becomes more pronounced the longer it exists. Possibly to the point of ruining your camera. Look very carefully at the wiring from camera to cab and pay extra attention to any mods done that maybe anywhere that said wiring is.

Correct on the flashing. Goes from picture to black with some white lines, very quickly, and just gets worse. Your reason for analog makes sense. I will have to get some time to check out the wires, and there should be no mods since it is all factory under there. This morning...worked perfect

dhanni848

Reaction score
Correct on the flashing. Goes from picture to black with some white lines, very quickly, and just gets worse. Your reason for analog makes sense. I will have to get some time to check out the wires, and there should be no mods since it is all factory under there. This morning...worked perfect

And has worked perfect for 2 days, I haven't touched a thing. Maybe it just fixed itself