Possible Rear-end Manufacturing Defect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a new thread as the implications may have grown. My original post is here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f262/rear-axle-shifted-54783/

Long-story-short, my rear end is a verified 3/4 to an inch to the passenger side. I took the truck to the dealer that I took my ST too, not where I bought the truck. Good shop. First they told me the bed had shifted and they would warranty the fix and re-bedlining. OK, cool. Go and check on the truck and literally made no difference. The associate agreed with me and sent the truck to the body shop. Spoke with him today, and by all metrics, the bed is perfect and the axle is off, and to reiterate, noticeably. Once you see it, you can't un-see it.

Also, while in the shop, they noticed the leaf is clipping the bump can on the driver's side. Totally rolled the edge. Not good.

The thing is, they have two new SCrews on the floor, and they checked them. Same exact issue: axles about 3/4" to the passenger side, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. The service guys don't know what's up so they sent an inquiry to Ford Technical Support, though they agreed something is definitely wrong. I'm waiting to hear back. My truck was built early March, their inventory trucks were built a few weeks later.

Alex

I need to measure mine...haven't noticed anything in looks but my bump can does have a rolled edge. No odd handling or driving characteristics.

OP
OP
M

MagnetMan14

Reaction score
Would either of you guys mind posting a pic of the rolled bump? Probably an easier diagnosis than measuring.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

An update. The dealership has been great, Ford corporate, OK. Since they couldn't figure it out they gave me the number for the Ford customer center, which opened a case for me and "escalated the case". This brought the Service Manager in as my main point of contact, who has been great. The dealer has been trying to get some answers from Ford Engineering, whether this is an issue or a some sort of vibration mitigating design feature. They kept telling him it was an optical illusion, but to his credit, and the fact there own raptors are exhibiting a similar issue, he kept pressing.

The rolled bump can was really the thing that kept the case moving. He measured from the top of the leaf to the edge of the can and there is interference. The rolled edge is not the end of the world and admittedly is not that bad, but no proper design would have the leaf clipping the bump. They ordered me a new can and are going to drop the axle and reassemble to see if they can get it straight.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you for posting pics. i have not noticed anything like this on mine so far.

OP
OP
M

MagnetMan14

Reaction score
Welp,

Un-fixable. They gave me a new bump can, which will just get dinged up again. Axle is still off and they told me it's just inherent in the Raptor. Something about driveline angles, but I'm done.

OP
OP
M

MagnetMan14

Reaction score
Is it possible the spring perches were welded out of position? Measure from the backing plate to the spring perch on both sides.

Maybe, but who knows? Not to be a primadonna,but the worst part of this is they just don't know whats wrong. No mechanic at the dealership could even give me a hint of what was off, and to their credit, they really tried to help me. I can handle "this is the problem but it's not our problem". I've got mig, tig, cutting wheels and moxie, but I don't know where to start.

They gave me a copy of the technical communications with Ford engineering, but they said if the issue is showing in the new vehicles its probably not an issue. They also told me that shifting the axle left or right, even less than an inch would mess with the driveline angle, but Rams with coil rears have a lateral trackbar out back, so those trucks have a left to right shift throughout the whole of the suspension travel. So I'm not buying it.

I just got off the phone with SDHQ, deavers will be in next week, I think I may start diagnosing the issue component by component.